diffs ?

Old 05-25-2004, 03:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy diffs ?

i took apart my truck yesterday because when i was driving it earlier i heard squeaking from the rear tires. after words i brought it back inside and started to play with it to find were the sounds were coming from and it was the tranny. i took it all apart and i found that my bearings were real dirty, also i took the diff apart to inspect it. nothing looks bad but i want to clean it really well before i put it back together.
i was wondering what grease i should use and what wieght? also i was wondering if i could get some advice on what should i use to clean it? also how do i clean the bearings, meaning do i just wipe them down or do i take them apart as well. please help.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: diffs ?

Originally posted by arsenal9102001
i was wondering what grease i should use and what wieght? also i was wondering if i could get some advice on what should i use to clean it? also how do i clean the bearings, meaning do i just wipe them down or do i take them apart as well. please help.
ok how about go here for what kind of lube / grease you should use.

then go here to get to know how to clean those bearings.

mop
Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking diff's!

the best information you'll find will be in your owners manuel..If you have one . If not download it from the internet ...
Old 05-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks but?

thanks for the help that you all have given me but i still need to know what do i use to clean the old grease off of the diffs and what do i use to clean the bearings?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Motor spray works well for both. After cleaning your bearings make sure you oil them with a light oil(trinity royal oil).
Old 05-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Default Re: thanks but?

Originally posted by arsenal9102001
thanks for the help that you all have given me but i still need to know what do i use to clean the old grease off of the diffs and what do i use to clean the bearings?
You have several ways to clean off the old grease, Like fatdoggy says motor spray works good for this

When it comes to bearings I like to soak them in lacquer thinner for about an hour or so, use a little container like an old r/c paint bottle with a good lid,shake the bearings lightly every once in a while to remove all the old grease or lube.
remove the bearings from the thinner and let dry on a paper towel or rag. When dry oil with a light oil for bearings and put them back in your car

Now wasn't that fun? just think you get to do it often
Most of all have fun and enjoy the hobby
Old 05-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile thanks man!

thanks man i appreciate the addvice. that really helps. and heck yeah i enjoy the hobby. working on it is the best part. thanks