Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
problem with my tmaxx >

problem with my tmaxx

problem with my tmaxx

Old 06-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default problem with my tmaxx

friday i bought a brand new tmaxx 3.3 and did the break in last night. took it to the beach today and got 2 tanks in before it stopped moving!!! the engine turns over and revs but the truck is 100% montionless. i noticed something weird. the spur? gear is riding freely. got pic to show you. are there suppose to be screws holding that down?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

is your clutch not in adjustment anymore?
Your spur should just have one nut holding it on the transmission shaft.
Does your pinion or spur spin at all?
maybe a diff is loose. Might be worth it to just take it apart alot and check everything
Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up nope

my dad bought a revo for his birthday which has the same driveline as the tmaxx. he had some problems with it and i went and messed around and ended up. tightening the slipper clutch and then it worked. it was a little hard to tighten cause of all the stuff around it but take one of wrenches it came with and hold the spur gear down as you tighten the little silver nut
Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mcdragon2
is your clutch not in adjustment anymore?
Your spur should just have one nut holding it on the transmission shaft.
Does your pinion or spur spin at all?
maybe a diff is loose. Might be worth it to just take it apart alot and check everything
theres no nut holding the spur down. on the blow up manual, it shows 3 nuts holding it down. ill pull it apart.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That nut shown in your pic holds it on the shaft. The three screws hold the slipper plate on teh back of the spur. There are 3 slipper pads that then attach to the slipper plate onm the back of the spur.

Under the nut there are 2 slightly concave washers that go on the shaft with their dished sides opposing each other. These are belville type washers and generate the tension between the slipper pads and the slipper plate. The nut tightens all this down to bear against a bearing.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

I believe I see studs where there is supposed to slipper friction pads so that might be part of it. though I have no idea where they would've gone after 2 tanks
Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

ill pull my tranny out tonight hopefully. ill just print out a explode pic of it. this is crap. shouldnt have this problem with so little run time.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Lord

Whoa!! I just realized the slipper pads are completely missing - at least the two you can see!! Bet the 3rd one is gone too.

Looks like the nut backed off and allowed them to get tossed by centrifugsl force since they weren't being forced against the slipper plate hard enough toikeep them where they belong.

No wonder it stopped moving!!

I agree, but the slipper nut is one of those things that need to be checked when its new....
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

duster is right you still need to check a truck over when you get it brand new
Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for your help guys. never had a problem like this before. ive owned new and used cars before. theres a whole list of them actually.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Lord

This is a better slipper design than the rubber'peg' based design - I've converted a few of mine to run this design. The thing I've noticed is its not very forgiving once a prob occurs and slipping get started. Its hard to make the slip go away unless you replace everything. At least, this has been my experience on a good brushless setup.

Theres supposed to be some new pad material out there, p/n was not charged, hopefully you'll get that when you buy parts, I bought a few rebuild sets when I converted and haven't seen the new stuff yet.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

I believe that Traxxas is just changing the material and the p/n did change for the slash they added an x to the end so I would imagine that they did that for all of them. So look for a P/N with an X at the end for new material I believe.