Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Rechargeable batteries for Futaba 2PHKA >

Rechargeable batteries for Futaba 2PHKA

Rechargeable batteries for Futaba 2PHKA

Old 05-09-2004, 04:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Rechargeable batteries for Futaba 2PHKA

Hey guys, was wondering if anybody out there have this radio model and is using rechargeables for it ?

There's a recharge jack at the back and I'm not too sure on what type of batteries in terms of ratings I should use. Only thing I know would be to use NiCD type batteries.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Why limit to NiCd? I would definately get NiMh with the highest capasity I could find and which fits the budget. As far as I know, 2100 is the biggest AA, you can find. Just remember to not charge them at a too high rate, so they heat up, while they are in the TX. That is, max. 0,8-1,0 amps.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

In the manual it speaks of Ni-cad so I'm on the assumption that you can only use NiCD.

Now i'm curious about this radio because I'm not sure whether you could just get a power supply with the right female connector and connect it to the remote (remote having some internal charger already) OR you actually will have to purchase a Charger and connect the charger to the remote.

If it's the second then I guess I'll just have to bare with energizers lol.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

There's no reason for not using NiMh instead of NiCd. The radio aint the newest, and the manual are probably written, when NiMh wasnt so common. I just had a look in the 2PHKA manual and it dont state to NOT use NiMh.

NiMh is way easier to maintain, especiallt since they dont have to be stored discharged like NiCd's.

There aint any bulit-in charge device in the TX. The cheapest is to simply use a wall charger. But remember to get one with a slow charge rate like 300-500 mAh, so you dont risk over heating, which both will damage the battes AND melting the TX.

Alternatively get a charger with a auto cut off device. You can get one which charges 4 AA batts for very cheap. Just charge 2 x 4 batts in a row. If you choose to get a auto cut off charger, ensure it's NiMh compatible.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks alot dude for the trouble you went through in order to provide me the info.

Can I ask you, what's the maH rating and how does it affect the battery ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

You're welcome.

The mAh rating: 1 mA, or miliampere, is 1/1000 ampere. 1mAh is 1/1000 ampere during one hour. So if the battery got a capasity of 1000 mAh, you're able to draw 1 amp for 1 hour.

A radio like yours typically draw 250 mA. So with a battery of 1000 mAh, you're able to have the radio turned on for 1000 / 250 = 4 hours (if the battery is fully charged).

So the difference between having a 1100 mAh and a 2100 mAh, is approx. 4 versus 8 hours.

For charging: If your charger charges at 500 mAh, it will take 1100/500=2,2 hours to charge a 1100 mAh battery. 2100 battery: 2100/500=4,2 hours.

The lower the capasity, the cheaper they usually are. But now a days, 2100 aint so expensive anymore, so you might like to be more comfortably....

Please note, that batteries self-discharge over time. So a larger capasity battery can be stored for longer, without the need for charging. Plus you might want to use the batts for another application like a digicam later on.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Legend, thanks for that informative reply dude.

Thanks!