Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
T-Maxx 3.3 as a 1st RC for a Nitro Noob? >

T-Maxx 3.3 as a 1st RC for a Nitro Noob?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Maxx 3.3 as a 1st RC for a Nitro Noob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default T-Maxx 3.3 as a 1st RC for a Nitro Noob?

I havent been into RC since i was a kid, and what I had then was no where near whats out there now. I've never raced, never even been to a real track, but I'm not new to a toolbox. My boss offered me his T-Maxx and I couldnt pass the deal up. Its had a total chassis/suspension upgrade with a kit from Integy along with other hop ups. The motor and drive train are stock, but I have to admit that I'm way out of my league with this. I dont even know how to start it. Dont get me wrong, I'm totally looking forward to learing the in's and out's of nitro, I just think I'm a little out of my league with it. Any tips, or honest opinions? Thanks.

J
Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Traxxas stuff is great for bashing and for some good times. Check this out.Its some good reading and may help with some basics.
http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...n&suchbegriff=
Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

All the info - owners manual, exploded diagrams, parts lists etc are available online and can be dnloaded, printed or whatever you prefer. Advise at least going thru the owners manual and reading it so you know what Traxxas intended as correct way for starting and using. Click on the appropriate Tmaxx model and you'll see the 'resources' that Traxxas provides.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/trx_nitro.htm

There's also a tuning DVD in case you didn't get than from the owner. Ihaven't seen it available anywhere except eBay where its just a few dollars. That might be worthwhile as far as gaing some background on your new toy.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info fellas. after talking to the guy some more, he said it will need a new spur gear and a new clutch bell due to the added weight from the chassis upgrade(he went for the all aluminum set up). any suggestions for what size to get? i know they come in matching sets, and that my plan, but im not sure what ratio/tooth count to get.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Just how heavy is this now? Stock is 9lbs 6oz. Did he change wheels/tires - that has almost a bigger impact on gearing than 'reasonable' weight additions.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Im not too sure just how much weight the upgrade added, but he didnt feel comfy running it hard without changing the gears out. no tires or wheel changes. he went home yesterday and we're offshore, so i cant call and get more info from him until we get back to the dock. I know im grasping at straws here, but i appreciate you guys' patience with me on this. I had thought that changing out the spur and clutch bell wouldve been a good idea anyway, but he said i need to change them out because of weight.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Lord

There are spurs available from 53 to 58t and CBs from 20 to 24t. Those will cover a lot of range. I'd find out what was run last and then gear down from there. You don't want to go too far - you'll wind up with almost no top end.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Initiate

a T-Maxx, is not a bad vehicle to start off with. I've had a Nitro Sport SE for close to 4-5 year's just got it running again after 2-3 year's of sitting in my garage. currently doing some upgrades to it here and there.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Rookie

T-maxx is a great truck to get back into the sport with just be careful with all the aluminum pieces if u start bashing it hard they could bend and then ur look at expensive parts to replace unless u go back to plastic
Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Nitro might be a little more maintenance, and to start it you have use this plug thingy and poke it into the motor or something......that's all I know about Nitro really because I have an E-Revo Brushless
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

I've been thinking about converting it to an electric set up, but from what ive been hearing from people on here and elsewhere......it would be easier, and cheaper to sell it and buy a Revo or and E-Maxx. Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Lord

I wouldn't bother converting a TMaxx - it can and has been done. You wind up with something that has a high COG and is even more prone to rolling over. You're better off getting something that has the spec built batt trays that carries that weight lower for a lower COG and less rolling over. The Tmaxx drive train won't take a decent brushless setup either - it'll also have to be upgraded - drive axles and diffs. Get either the 3905 Emaxx (orig 3906 Emaxx has weak drive train, I know I have one) or the Erevo and most of that is already solved.

Sell it or trade it and go from there. You'll be better off and happier in the long run.