Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
12th scale gearing >

12th scale gearing

12th scale gearing

Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default 12th scale gearing

I was going to buy a range of pinion and spurs for my 12r5.1 I was wondering what range i should be aiming to buy if it is being used with a 17.5 turn brushless motor? Also what is the best ratio?

Another problem i have is what tires i should run. i will be using it outdoors on a asphalt track with paragon traction action. Any tips on which tires or range of tires i should get?

Lastly what is this "timing" thing on a brushless motor and how do you calibrate it.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Follow Up

Originally Posted by silverfrancis View Post
I was going to buy a range of pinion and spurs for my 12r5.1 I was wondering what range i should be aiming to buy if it is being used with a 17.5 turn brushless motor? Also what is the best ratio?

Another problem i have is what tires i should run. i will be using it outdoors on a asphalt track with paragon traction action. Any tips on which tires or range of tires i should get?

Lastly what is this "timing" thing on a brushless motor and how do you calibrate it.

Cheers
Hello,

Gearing, Timing & Tires are all very difficult items to guess. They are so different depending on tracks size, bite, shape and speed of the track layout. With that said I will do my best to give you some direction.

Gearing...

Most likely you will need about the smallest spur gear and some really large pinions to get the rollout you need. It would be very helpful to know what type of speed controller you plan to use and if it has timing advance as this directly impacts the gear ratio as will the motor timing and tire size.

A good range of gears to have in your pit box would be 69 -85 Tooth (64 Pitch) Spur gears and 34 - 50 Tooth Pinion (64 Pitch) Pinion Gears. This should give you a good range to work with as needed.

Ratio...

This will be very dependent on your track size and other factors... I would suggest starting with you smallest spur gear and smallest pinion and start working up from there... Something like 78 Spur and 34 pinion would be a good safe starting point... You will be way under-geared, but better safe than a overheated motor or speedo.

Timing...

If you are using a speedo that will be giving you timing advance such as a Tekin RS, Black Diamond, LRP SXX or Mamba Max Pro, then I would suggest that you set your motor timing between 0 -5 Degrees

If you are using a non-timing advance speedo, I would suggest you set your motor timing between 15 - 18 Degrees. Some motors do not have actual numbers, would be helpful to know what type of motor you plan to run as well.

Tires...

Your best bet it to call the track and find out what everyone else is running. Each track's surface and temp can determine the type of tire you would run. Seems like a safe bet is always a xx-pink tire all the way around for outdoor asphalt, but you really should check with the track on that one.

I hope you found this helpful. I may be able to help more with greater specifics such as...

Speedo Type
Motor Type
Track Size

Just my -98 cents worth, have a great day.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Well the track i will be racing on is about two tennis courts in size. The motor i am running is a venom v540 17.5 brushless while my esc is a venom pro brushless v2
Old 03-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Follow Up

Originally Posted by silverfrancis View Post
Well the track i will be racing on is about two tennis courts in size. The motor i am running is a venom v540 17.5 brushless while my esc is a venom pro brushless v2
The Venom System only has static timing so leave the factory timing setting on the motor and set the timing setting on the speedo to factory or bump it up one or two settings. The instruction should tell you how to do so for the speedo.

You would start with a gearing around 78 Spur & 45 Pinion, I would suggest having 42 - 50 Tooth Pinions on hand as well as a 72, 68, 58 tooth spur gear all 64 pitch available to make further gear ratio adjustments.

These should be good starting points and as always you should touch base with others at the local track to get futher gear/tire info to get started.

Good Luck