R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default LiPo/LiFe + BEC question

Hey everyone, been a lurker for about a month now and finally took the plunge and registered. Just a bit of background info, have had a Tamiya Hornet since 1998 or so and recently bought an OFNA MBX Pro (huge jump, yes).

So today I picked up a Futaba 2PL 2.4GHz for the Ofna and was looking into receiver packs a bit. I'm going between LiFe and LiPo 'cause I don't want any NiMH packs if they're becoming "outdated" technology, I know LiPo needs a voltage regulator of sorts, is a BEC or UBEC capable of dropping the voltage in place of a voltage regulator? Everything I've found online deals with using BECs in electric vehicles, just wanted to check if it'd work in a nitro application.

I know lots of people here use LiPo, but as someone who still has a few 1200mAh NiCad packs laying around the idea of exploding packs still is in the back of my mind, and I've heard horror stories of packs exploding while not in use. Is there really any concern for exploding if the packs are properly maintained?

Hope to hear back and hope I'm not being too n00bish with my questions
tromoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I also wonder if LiFe is the future instead of batteries. I know LiFe has some advantages, those of which slip my mind at the moment, but I'm sure it has some drawbacks as well.

So I can't answer any of your questions, but I'll be curious to read the responses.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Tech Adept

A bec and a voltage regulator are similar. For a nitro you could use either. The common setup i suggest is an Integy Regulator 6Volts at 5Aamps, and has a soft cutoff for the lipo.
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...55&p_catid=140
then use whatever battery you can fit in your tray.