R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Newbie that just upgraded my sc10...and now I need some help

And i'm gonna need some help . I switched over to a brushless setup and put a new servo in the car (ae1015). Now when I roll the car back and forth by hand it makes a grinding kind of noise. I checked the pinion and spur gears and they are fine and I also checked the diff and it's good as well. I checked the mesh using the paper method as well. Now when I turn the car on and give it some throttle it takes off with no noise It only does it when I roll the car by hand or give it a tiny bit of throttle. The car is geared with a 48pitch 28/78. I heard from some people that it is normal because the magnets in the motor are really strong and that is what is causing the noise because the pinion gear isn't spinning. I really am lost. My other question is about the servo. It makes a faint buzzing sound when I turn the car on. Now if I turn the wheels it goes away and then when I turn the wheels again it comes back. Now I followed all the directions step by step and i'm kinda at a loss right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks to all that have read this.
Budman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

From my limited experience, everything you are describing is normal. Brushless motors are sometimes notchy and noise when rolling the car, but smooth with throttle input.

The buzzing is the sound of a digital servo. They make this sound. I think it is because it is finding center.

ben
armourbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

You may be able to eliminate the servo nose by adjusting your trim slightly, but a little noise is common.

Your grinding noise sounds like gear mesh or possibly worn tranny gears. If it's silent on acceleration and braking then I wouldn't worry about it. I assume you put a new larger pinion on when you switched to brushless (usually 4-8 teeth more), and they seem to sound different because the larger pinion has more teeth in contact with the spur at once. Your brushless motor should actually have LESS static resistance than brushed.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

I took the cover off the diff to see if that was it and it spins free and all the teeth looked great. I rolled it without the pinion gear on the motor and there was no noise...soon as I put the pinion back on I got that noise again. I turned the truck on and gave it a little throttle without the spur gear on and the motor made no noise it just spun. So i'm hoping it's just normal noise that comes with a brushless as i've been told. And yes there is no noise under braking or acceleration so I thought that was fine. I just didn't want to burn up a new motor Thank you all for your replies
Budman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Arrow

HI,
Im from Jubail im just wondering if you have idea if theres a track here in jubail that i can play? Im new in this hobby.
revo 3.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I had the same issue with the used sc10 i just got with a brushless system in it. I know from experience it may be just the diff needs to be tightened down and oil added. I haven't taken it apart yet but you can tell by the truck making a grinding sound when on the ground but not in the air. Turn your wheels in any direction and see if the other is turning as fast. If not like mine, then you need to take the diff apart and see if the gears are grinded down or if the screw in the middle it tighened but not too tight. Good luck!
smarking1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I would check the pinion again make sure you lock tight the little screw to keep it in place. also the high pitched sound is normal.
Jimmy Avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Between the slash and my sc10, my slash has a better tighter diff that the sc10. It just feels like the sc10 is slipping. Associated always has diff issues like my T3. I was always tightening the diff after a race or practice. Oh well!
smarking1212 is offline   Reply With Quote