R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 02-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Why all the hate about RTR stuff?

I know it isn't a huge issue in this forum, but I still see plenty of cases where people bash RTR stuff. It seems like one of those us vs. them kind of situations -- kit owners vs. RTR owners.

Seems to me like there are many good RTR options out there, especially for people new to the hobby like me who don't have an assortment of motors, ESC's, servors, radios, etc. to use with a kit.

I fully understand wanting to build the car or truck as part of the experience of ownership. But take the example of the SC10. The kit and RTR are exactly the same, but one has some entry level electronics for a fair price increase.

Now there are options out there like the HPI Vorza Flux that come with some very nice parts, including a motor/ESC combo that many people through in their kits anyways. Again, it doesn't seem over-priced either considering what it comes with. Sure the radio might not be worth much, but that can be overlooked fairly easily.

I'm off base here? Do people in the hobby tend to have or not have a prejudice toward RTR owners?

ben
armourbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

LOL, no prejudice.

RTR vehicles normally sacrifice quality in some of the parts in order to keep a cost efficient vehicle. It's not just cheaper servos and a cheap radio.

Most of the time you will see parts like the chassis, shock towers, shocks, shock caps, chassis braces, steering knuckles, ect have a cheaper build to them.

Nothing at all wrong with a RTR vehicle. It's how 75% of the people in this hobby start out, if not more.

People choose a kit, not just to say they have a kit, but they choose it for the better build of the vehicle. Most of the time RTR owners end up replacing most of the things that come with a RTR that makes it a RTR. Radio, servos, engine, ect.

For someone looking to break into the hobby, RTR is honestly the way to go, but eventually, if the new hobbyist likes RC, he or she will eventually step up to a better built kit and electronics/engine. Either that, or they will upgrade the parts of the vehicle to the kit spec.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Tech Addict

There will always be some level of snobbery in this hobby...look at my signature.

With that said, I myself don't have any problems with RTR kits. Sometimes I don't have time to sit down and build a kit so I buy a RTR. For example I bought a RTR HPI Baja 5b V2.0 for the same price as the SS kit. It has most of the same upgraded parts as the SS kit. Yes, I ended up removing the servos and radio to install better ones but am able to sell the unused parts on ebay for some extra cash. I also have 4 Tamiya car kits that I needed to build.

I recently bought a Ofna JL10e which isn't a RTR but the chassis does come 80% pre-built. I also have a RTF heli which I use for light 3D stuff, but I also got an Align 500 kit that I use for heavy 3D.

There's something for everyone which it great and brings in more people to the hobby which in turn allows the hobby to grow while at the same time keeping prices reasonable.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yes, there is a fair amount of RTR haters out there, but to be honest, I have not seen battles erupt between the different owners regarding these breeds of RC. What I have seen, and is an issue that is just as stupid, is where the owners of one type of RC (ie Traxxas Slash) are ostracized by owners of the similarly classed Associated SC10. I am not going to go into the reasons for this nonsense, but as some have touched upon, different opinions, combined with snobbery, and a ton of immaturity, leads to childish behavior.

I love to assemble my RC cars, just like I love to build my RC airplanes. That way, repairs are easier since I know how the item in question went together. But I also gain two more things when I start with a box of parts and end up with a functioning RC. One is a great sense of pride that I put this item together, and had the opportunity to "customize" it (my own color scheme), so it does not look like the others at the track, or field. Two, I know I do a better job of assembling such items because, in the case of cars, I don't strip the hardware (on some RTRs, I have found such screws), and in the case of planes, I use epoxy, clamps, and other strengthening techniques where necessary (ie, gluing in the firewall). Some ARF planes had been known, for example, to allow the engine and firewall to fly away, leaving the rest of the plane helpless. When I do get an ARF, I go over it with a fine toothed comb and strengthen areas that I feel are lacking.

I absolutely do not judge people based on what cars or planes they fly. Good for them for at least getting into the hobby and giving it a go. I do, however, loathe the morons who criticize people for their choices in RC for the ridiculous sake of "mine is better than yours", and no other reason.

WWW.TRAVELINGMINISPEEDWAY.COM

Last edited by MojoManDan; 02-17-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added points
MojoManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rtrs are perfectly fine as you stated the sc10 rtr is exactly the same as the kit.
Bryan Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I think a lot of the concern is not about RTRs or those that enjoy them, but that in many cases a kit version is not even offered. As long as a kit version is offered I don’t see that much bashing.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the kits r fine its the electronics that r junk.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Some of the kits come with pretty good electrics nowadays. HPI Flux RTR which use CC system. Also the new RTR HPI Baja 5B/5T have 2.4GHz DSSS systems now. Traxxas has the VXL systems which are pretty good.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
Some of the kits come with pretty good electrics nowadays. HPI Flux RTR which use CC system. Also the new RTR HPI Baja 5B/5T have 2.4GHz DSSS systems now. Traxxas has the VXL systems which are pretty good.
not all but some do come with junk electronics.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (96%+)

I personally don't mind either way kit or rtr.... I play with my toys and when the rtr's break I upgrade them... but most guys on here are "Racers" and have to have top notch (expensive) stuff to be happy.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, no prejudice.

Quote:
RTR vehicles normally sacrifice quality in some of the parts in order to keep a cost efficient vehicle. It's not just cheaper servos and a cheap radio.

Most of the time you will see parts like the chassis, shock towers, shocks, shock caps, chassis braces, steering knuckles, ect have a cheaper build to them.

Nothing at all wrong with a RTR vehicle. It's how 75% of the people in this hobby start out, if not more.

People choose a kit, not just to say they have a kit, but they choose it for the better build of the vehicle. Most of the time RTR owners end up replacing most of the things that come with a RTR that makes it a RTR. Radio, servos, engine, ect.

For someone looking to break into the hobby, RTR is honestly the way to go, but eventually, if the new hobbyist likes RC, he or she will eventually step up to a better built kit and electronics/engine. Either that, or they will upgrade the parts of the vehicle to the kit spec.
Couldn't have said it better +1
tmaxxdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I suppose another valid point would be that with a kit you know it has been put together properly and not done by a bunch of monkeys chained to a table doing one after another for 11 cents a day.
Shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

The reason the old timers in this hobby don't like RTR cars is because there is no dedication or responsibility required to own one. The main problem they take with RTR is that they are part of the instant gratification-ation of today's society. If someone doesn't invest that build time and learn about the kit it will be much easier for them to leave the hobby to just give up the instant something goes wrong. It's a hobby thing not a parts or electronics quality thing (although that can sometimes be part of it, but it's not central to the problem).
Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First, you have to realize that most people act differently on a forum than they do in real life. People are more outspoken and ignorant online where there are no repercussions for their statements. Plus, a lot of people claim to be more skilled at driving than they really are.

Second, people want to have the best and/or act like they need the best equipment. When, in reality, their skill doesn't warrant the need for expensive equipment.

Lots of people just live in a lie and therefore think they're too good for RTR equipment. RTR equipment is fine for the average non-racer. Admittedly, RTR equipment is usually budget equipment that can be improved upon, but that usually comes with a hefty price.

I got my first RC car in the late 80s. It was an orignal Tamiya Hornet kit. I love kits and I love RTRs. The people who hate RTRs should open up their eyes and be thankful for RTRs and RTR-minded companies like Duratrax and Traxxas. Because without RTRs and companies like Traxxas and Duratrax this hobby would be much smaller. RTRs have brought so many people into this hobby. Not all of them stay, but some of them do. And even if they don't stay they invested a little bit into our hobby with the purchase of their RC.

Just look at how the RTR Slash impacted this hobby. It brought in new people, got RCs into stores that never before had hobby grade RCs (Pep Boys as a quick example), created new racing classes, and also created a booming Short Course truck market that all of the manufacturers are benefitting from.

The RTR haters just need to grow up and open up their eyes and see how they've helped this hobby.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
First, you have to realize that most people act differently on a forum than they do in real life. People are more outspoken and ignorant online where there are no repercussions for their statements. Plus, a lot of people claim to be more skilled at driving than they really are.

Second, people want to have the best and/or act like they need the best equipment. When, in reality, their skill doesn't warrant the need for expensive equipment.

Lots of people just live in a lie and therefore think they're too good for RTR equipment. RTR equipment is fine for the average non-racer. Admittedly, RTR equipment is usually budget equipment that can be improved upon, but that usually comes with a hefty price.

I got my first RC car in the late 80s. It was an orignal Tamiya Hornet kit. I love kits and I love RTRs. The people who hate RTRs should open up their eyes and be thankful for RTRs and RTR-minded companies like Duratrax and Traxxas. Because without RTRs and companies like Traxxas and Duratrax this hobby would be much smaller. RTRs have brought so many people into this hobby. Not all of them stay, but some of them do. And even if they don't stay they invested a little bit into our hobby with the purchase of their RC.

Just look at how the RTR Slash impacted this hobby. It brought in new people, got RCs into stores that never before had hobby grade RCs (Pep Boys as a quick example), created new racing classes, and also created a booming Short Course truck market that all of the manufacturers are benefitting from.

The RTR haters just need to grow up and open up their eyes and see how they've helped this hobby.
very good point agree 100% with it
ugglasdav is offline   Reply With Quote