R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   New guy! (try not to point and laugh please) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/370341-new-guy-try-not-point-laugh-please.html)

Smuffy 02-13-2010 11:23 AM

New guy! (try not to point and laugh please)

Apparently this forum is for new people and I'm new here, so I just thought I'd drop by and say hello :)

I used to race way back, and am just picking up the hobby again after a good few years off. Wow has the tech changed! Brushless motors fed by explosive batteries :P, and measured in Kv instead of turns. 70mph Traxxas products(not to mention being regarded as a reputable company!) It's a lot different than the hobby supported by my paper route money back in 95. :lol:

Kent Beal 02-13-2010 11:41 AM

yes but in some ways its a lot easier now. My brushless motors are a year old and just a competitive as when they were new. same goes for my lipo batteries.

JonesyCGY 02-13-2010 11:46 AM

Welcome back to the addiction:lol::lol:

Duster_360 02-13-2010 12:02 PM

Now with brushless you spend your time fine tuning your setup or driving instead of maintaining a motor or battery packs! Way better arrangement!:lol:

Great timing for a return, welcome back!

Bryan Kendall 02-15-2010 09:29 AM

Now it's not about who has the most money(new brushed motor for every race). Now brushless motors last years. the senorless are measured in kv and sensored are measuered in turns like 17.5 which is like a 27 turn

nutz4rcyktw 02-15-2010 09:53 AM

Welcome back. I sat out for some time myself but started again in the last few years. All the technology is much better now. As far as explosive batteries, that would be NIMH they actually explode and produce shrapnel.
Lipos are much safer when handled properly. They don't explode but they can burn down and take a vehicle with them. They can burn when shorted, over heated, or dumped too low. At our local tracks the number of NIMHs to explode in ratio to Lipos with issues is about 8 to 1. The only Lipo I have seen over heat (never caught fire) and smoke electronics was hooked up backwards in polarity.

Smuffy 02-19-2010 11:03 PM

Thanks for the replies people! I never noticed you had to subscribe to a thread to see it's recent posts. So I've already made my Newb mistake. :P I've still been stuck in the same rut as I was before(damned diffs!) so I gave in and bought an E-Revo for the mean time while I get my Cyber 10B and SRT figured out. I had almost forgotten how fast money can disappear! lol I've already picked up some brushless stuff for the SRT and the 10B will be getting it's own stuff too. Now just to find some Lipos :P

BuggyKing 02-20-2010 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by JonesyCGY (Post 7000694)
Welcome back to the addiction:lol::lol:

+1. Same here I too tryed to get away from the addiction, but managed to always get sucked back in.

Smuffy 02-21-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Duster_360 (Post 7000731)
Now with brushless you spend your time fine tuning your setup or driving instead of maintaining a motor or battery packs! Way better arrangement!:lol:

Great timing for a return, welcome back!

Haha You spoke too soon! I went out today to play around with my Brushless SRT and my BRAND NEW E-Revo.

The SRT was a little slow but I attributed it to lack of traction on the cold blacktop with spiked tires....then.....CHUNK grrrrrrrrrrr

I haven't opened up the transmission to see yet, but I think I took the teeth off of something. It's a good thing I have Rustler VXL metal gears on the way :D

My friend was driving my Revo(he's an old school guy like me, but always had pan cars, so I thought it'd be fun to let him try a truck) and hit a patch of ice at the corner of the lot and plowed face first into a concrete car stop :eek: Broke the bulkheads in AT LEAST 4 places, the steering assembly bracket, the skid plate and even a hinge pin! I nearly cried :cry:

So it's back to sitting. Staring at them until the end of the week, when parts come in. 5 minutes of driving and 5 days of sitting. Some things never change. :rolleyes:

Duster_360 02-21-2010 10:15 AM

Well, thats one thing I've learned the hard way - no one, not even my wife or brother, drive any of mine any more - yeah its selfish, but it avoids exactly that kind of prob!!

Letting someone else drive and bad crashes just seems to always go together!

Smuffy 02-22-2010 03:22 AM

Well it sucks, but I have a lot to do anyways since I tore up the SRT transmission. Plus it gives me an excuse to order a bunch of anodized parts.... Now if I could only find the servo bracket in red instead of stupid blue....

morris 02-25-2010 07:54 AM

r/c these days are way better than the 95 era.
once you have everything you need you are set.really nice to spend time driving and doing set-up/bullshitin with your friends instead of rebuilding motors/matching cells...

have fun with it man and there are loads of people on here willing to help out on whatever topic you need help with.

Smuffy 02-26-2010 08:38 AM

Thank you, thank you.

I also have a MMM/2200Kv on the way. So I'll be looking forward to the setup on that one :lol: