Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need feedback building my gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? need feedback building my gear

Hello all! I've been out of the hobby for some years now and obviously the technology has changed & improved. So I would greatly appreciate your feedback and advice with spending my income tax return

I don't want to cut corners as I want my new gear to be solid and also capable of growing with my skill level.

Here is what I've decided so far...not much so don't hold back!
Thanks in advance!

- RC10B4 Factory Team
- Airtronics MX 2.4GHz

- Battery Charger???...AC/DC all battery types with the bells & whistles
- ESC w/ rev...Perhaps a Novak??? do any work with both brushed & brushless motors
- brushed motor
- or would I be better off going brushless since I'm in the position to do so?
- suggest both a NiCad & LiPo

Thx!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

the B4 is a real solid buggy and a good start.Also a good choice to go ahead and go 2.4 ghz on the radio.I would go ahead and start with lipo and brushless.Read up on all the lipo treads here to eget the basic care down.Once you larn it its real easy here is a good ac/dc balance charger for all the different batter chemistries
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

if you dont mind ordering from china lots of people have been usin the lipos sold at http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp
1/10th stuffs uses the two cell 7.4 volt packs.Imo at least 25c rating.If you prefer sticking with companies here http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved

as far as speedo and motor are you running stock(13.5 or 17.5 brushless) or mod? One of the best right now seems to be the tekin here is a motor speedo combo
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tor-Combo-175T

for a little better price people also like the Novak

hope this helps
Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

AC/DC charger - the Thunder AC-6 linked above is good, it will do all chemistries. This is an imported chinese charger and they've had good feedback. The name brand type chargers jump to about $130 and don't really offer anymore except maybe a better finish or look physically to the charger. The $130 Dynamite AC/DC charger does have 100watts where these other are just 50watts. This will not matter unless you are planning on charging 3S lipo or above.

Don't waste time with NiCd - NiMh as a minimum. Lipo wopuld be even better. Lipo needs to be protected from overdischarging and usually the esc provides this by having a low voltage cutoff. Novak escs will have the cutoff. Lipo also needs to be protected ffrom overcharging and the charger wiull take csare of thet. Lipo also needs to have the individual cells balanced when its charged. The Thunder is a balancing charger and will take care of that as well.

You will find much less maintenance to brushless - once its setup, its basically just run it so brushless will let you spend more time driving and fine tuning your set up instead of spending time maintaining a brushed motor.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Initiate

yes, VERY helpful!!!

Just a few things if you would humor me?? I haven't set my heart on the mentioned radio...but from what I've read, I like the specs as I used to run that brand back in the day as it always treated me well.
However since I'm nearly going all out to ensure I have a solid setup to grow on, would you suggest I look into another make/model to compare?

Awesome call on the charger! It appears to do-it-all, exactly what I'm looking for (besides the price seems almost to good to be true which is not a bad thing either)

I will be running stock for now, but as mentioned, I'm very fortunate and thankful to be in the position I'm in of basically having my pick of gear so I might just spoil myself and go for both? The links posted for ESC/motor both seem to be the same So I did some poking around from that page to look over the others. However, if you have a reco could you provide it?
I really appreaciate the "hand holding" thank you! Members like you make this forum rock!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

LiPo, brushless motor, & esc it is!
I know there are many varibles with run time. But is there an "average" run time I should I expect, reason I'm asking is so I know how many batts to start off with (example- running one while charging the other).

I know this question depends on personal opinion...How to order my gear. I live in Ft Myers FL (SWFL) and there are 2 LHS(same owner) that I know of, so my choices are limited.
Being a partner of a small business myself, I like to support local guys. Would it be naive of me to walk in there with my wish list? or do most of you guys simply purchase via web? I know it's a personal choice but I want to know how you guys feel about it as I don't want to be taken advantage due to the size of my purchase.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

The Sanwa/Airtronics MX-3FG is a little bit better than the MX Sport and it doesn't cost that much more.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

sorry here is the second recomendation for something a little less exepnsive but still very good

As far as the local hobby shop goes.Im very luck that I have a great hobby shop very close that deals in what the racer needs.Im all about supporting local shops as long as the prices are compeatitive.Mail order is very quick and I do use it as well.If the hobby shop can come close price wise go for it.Always fun to go there and get all the things on your wish list.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

The airtronics radio is good I would also recommend the ko radio.It ocmes with two really tiny recievers and has a good price point and also a good radio.You may want to run two cars later on and the 2.4 receivers can cost $80 or more and this way you would alredy have another.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...vers-No-Servos

I use amain hobbies as examples but this should be stuff you lhs can get or most online stores would have
Old 02-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

as far as TX's go....
i recommend the Airtronics M11 2.4ghz
you can use it as a beginner radio and just do basic adjustments on it.
and when you get a little more "seasoned" you can get into exponentials and many other little quirks the m11 has to offer.
ive turned many people away from other tx's and they ended up going with an m11 just because of its versatility.
and if you dont want to use airtonics 2.4ghz equip. they do make futaba spectrum modules for it.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

The M11 is a really great radio.Ive used its little brother the M8 for many years now and dont see it going anywhere soon.The m11 will run you about $250 or so with a reciever.The newest latest and greatest M11X will run quite a bit more at like $450.Great stuff.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Notte78
Hello all! I've been out of the hobby for some years now and obviously the technology has changed & improved. So I would greatly appreciate your feedback and advice with spending my income tax return

I don't want to cut corners as I want my new gear to be solid and also capable of growing with my skill level.

Here is what I've decided so far...not much so don't hold back!
Thanks in advance!

- RC10B4 Factory Team
- Airtronics MX 2.4GHz

- Battery Charger???...AC/DC all battery types with the bells & whistles
- ESC w/ rev...Perhaps a Novak??? do any work with both brushed & brushless motors
- brushed motor
- or would I be better off going brushless since I'm in the position to do so?
- suggest both a NiCad & LiPo

Thx!
I assume you are going to be racing? If so, here are some general recommendations:

car: The B4 is a great car for the stock buggy class. Key here, is to get with your track mates and get help on a setup.

radio tx: you will want 2.4 ghz... the rest is all about how it feels in your hand. You can only get so much information from rctech on this one. It has to feel good while holding it.

esc: You couldn't pry my Tekin RS away from me for anything. If you want to splurge, get a tekin RS and a hotwire.

motor: Brushless is the only way to go. I highly recommend the Duo2, I run them in my B4, and my Xray touring cars

charger: I love my hyperion. but basically, any lipo charger that balances will do.

battery: Lipo is the only way to go. You can get a 5000mah 40c battery for very little. At the track, you only need 1. You run a 6 minute race, and the battery will recharge again in 15 minutes. The beauty of Lipo is that is literally has ZERO maintanence you have to follow. You NEVER need to discharge. Lipo is as easy as this:

Charge with lipo balance charger
Run the battery
Charge with lipo balance charger
repeat as necesssary

There is no limit to the number of runs you can make in a day, in fact, it will only get faster the more times you run it. The only thing you have to make SURE of, is 1) you use a lipo charger (and balance) and 2) you use an ESC that has a built in lipo cutoff. Unlike Nimh cells, you NEVER want to run a lipo under 3v per cell. Using the hotwire and tekin RS, you simply set your cutoff to "2" (2 cells) and that will give you a 6v cutoff. If the ESC sees less than 6v, it just stops.

It has never been easier than lipo + brushless.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Initiate

my LHS is pushing the Castle ESC/Motor, however I've read so many good things about Tekin products on here, in addition to your personal preferences. Definately going to get a Tekin setup.

I'm going for the Airtronics M11. I don't see the need for the more advanced M11X, even though it's a prettty sweet model.

All the info & advice you guys provided has been priceless Feeling real confident with the setup I've "built in my head". Now it's time to make it all happen and have some fun!!! Once I'm all up and running I'll let you guys know how the good advice has paid off, much appreicated!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Notte78
my LHS is pushing the Castle ESC/Motor, however I've read so many good things about Tekin products on here, in addition to your personal preferences. Definately going to get a Tekin setup.

I'm going for the Airtronics M11. I don't see the need for the more advanced M11X, even though it's a prettty sweet model.

All the info & advice you guys provided has been priceless Feeling real confident with the setup I've "built in my head". Now it's time to make it all happen and have some fun!!! Once I'm all up and running I'll let you guys know how the good advice has paid off, much appreicated!!!
The hobby shop is going to push you to whatever they either need to move, whatever they will make the most money on, or whatever they have in stock. A castle esc/motor combo, while decent for bashing for beginners etc... is nowhere NEAR as good as a combonation of Tekin RS + Epic Duo2. There is a price difference, but you didnt give us a budget
Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

you are correct, didn't mention a budget. I am lucky that I can "get back in the saddle" and do it with good, solid, products. So I am and it will only benefit me in the long run. No need to do it half-@&& ya know?

You stated...."You couldn't pry my Tekin RS away from me for anything. If you want to splurge, get a tekin RS and a hotwire."

What's the hotwire? Since I'm going with a Tekin I'm curious. I did a search, however as you can imagine the words "hot wire" appears a couple times throughout the forum so I figure I would just ask.
thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Hotwire is a Tekin interface for the rs speedo to plug into a computer.You can adjust all perameters of the speedo plus download all the latest software from tekin.Makes it able to be used for a long time to come because it can be updated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.