Wiki Posts
Search

newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default newbie question

sorry if this is in the wrong place.

im looking at getting into R/C..i want something to bash around the house with and a regular basis,but will prolly get into racing some also.

does a buggy have advantages over a stadium truck or vice versa...im looking at spending $300-$400 in the R/C before adding the other items i would need.

any suggestions?i have looked at the HPI (mt2 i think)and OFNA (ultra lx pro i think).

thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

I'd say get a 1/8th scale buggy or a 2wd 1/10th scale truck, the Mt2 although it would be great for bashing, doesn't have a race class to run in(the national truck class is 2wd). Buggies are fast, fun and will go almost anywhere. 1/10th truck is universal, so almost every offroad track has this class.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Looking for something to bash around with go with the Tamiya TL-01. LOL

That car will never break.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Nah, it will break, the part will. How about tryin an HPI Savage 25? It jumps, flips, and rolls, but is hard to break
Old 03-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Ultra LX pro

Hey, I have a slightly use Ofna Ultra LX Pro. The engine is near scratchless because I attached engine protecters to the fins.

I broke in the engine with 3 tanks idle and 4 tanks low rpm driving.

There is approximately 3/4 quarts of O'donnel 20% fuel ran through the engine. There's a restrictor on the radio so I never ran the car to full throttle.

The chassis has no performance damages so the whole car basically runs like brand new. If you're interested, E-mail me at [email protected]

I also upgraded the servo to a Hitec HS-645MG. That servo costs 45$ at a hobby store. I will include everything that needs to run this car excpet fuel.

Email me for an offer or pictures
Old 03-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: newbie question

Originally posted by fatdog

im looking at getting into R/C..i want something to bash around the house with and a regular basis,but will prolly get into racing some also.

does a buggy have advantages over a stadium truck or vice versa...im looking at spending $300-$400 in the R/C before adding the other items i would need.

any suggestions?i have looked at the HPI (mt2 i think)and OFNA (ultra lx pro i think).

On the question of whether to get a buggy or stadium truck, I recommend a 2wd stadium truck. Ive ran with buggy's b4 and my truck rips. Mostly because buggy's are much heavier. But, if u want something that can go over anything and bash around, a nitro monster truck would be fun. ie, T-maxx, Savage 25
Old 03-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: newbie question

IMHO, stadium trucks are much better than buggies (at least electric 1/10 buggies) for bashing and beginners. This is because their larger wheels allow them to drive through more obstacles and make them easier to jump and land correctly.

John

Old 03-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

I have a HPI RS4 nito MT

if I were to do it over again I would DEFINATELY get a BUGGY!!

my MT, although it handles great and I love it, can not take the abuse that a buggy can

If you want to get a buggy I would reccomend the Ofna Hyper 7 PCR RTR. If you price shop you can get them for around 400. They come with everything but batteries and fuel.

I've driven my friends T maxx but I HATE it. If handles like its numb, its top heavy (which i dont like) and very easy to roll over in turns. It may be able to take more abuse than we can give but I just dont like driving it.

BTW: I love my NMT because it handles well, i can make it into an onroad truck and drift the shit out of it (A LOT of fun). or I can take it off road... THe main draws back are that it breaks fairly easily, the .15FE motor doesn't have much power (altough it does take a lot of abuse and still pulls(for a .15FE)) and to do BIG beatings you need to upgrade a lot of stuff.

my other reccomendation to someone just getting into the hobby is try getting something used. Ebay or RC forums for sale sections. You can normally get a truck with most of the common hop ups and a better motor for less than 1/2 the cost of you building it yourself.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for all the replies.

i went to a small off road race over the weekend...i talked to some of my freinds that are intot his pretty good...from what i saw,i think i will like the buggys better for what im going to do.

i really like the OFNA brand...i was looking at the ultra lx pro.i can get it for $269 or i can get the ultra mbx pro for $319 i think.

is it worth spending the extra $$ for the mbx?

again,thanks for all the help.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

thanks for all the replies.

i went to a small off road race over the weekend...i talked to some of my freinds that are intot his pretty good...from what i saw,i think i will like the buggys better for what im going to do.

i really like the OFNA brand...i was looking at the ultra lx pro.i can get it for $269 or i can get the ultra mbx pro for $319 i think.

is it worth spending the extra $$ for the mbx?

again,thanks for all the help.
There are not that different but my experiences with the LX are negative although it is an excellent deal.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

although i dont fully agree that buggies are better than stadium trucks because im fully satified with my Mugen MST-1, i do agree with corvettecrazy about the choice of his buggy. if you want a good buggy from ofna, choose the Hyper 7 PCR unless you are willin to pay big bucks for something like the Kania 2 or MBX-5
Old 03-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

ok thanks.

where is a good place to price these at?

sorry for all the questions,but hanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

I've seen the Hyper 7 PBS with PCR upgrades in the RTR on ebay for 400

Browsing through websites I've seen it anywere from 425 to 480 before shipping.

here is a yahoo search for OFNA 14324 (the RTR PCR part #)

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=OFN...t&cop=mss&tab=
Old 03-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks man...you all are great.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

RC10GT you can't go wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.