Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
battery modification >

battery modification

battery modification

Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Default battery modification

Hope some one has an answer for me here when I was flying airplanes a few years back I started running the E-Flite 370 brushless motors and was using lipo batteries my packs always came without plugs and I found Deans plugs to be the plug I favored most now I'm entering into this hobby and finding batteries that have a good mAh ratting but have those toy grade style plugs my car has the female deans on the battery and the male deans coming off the the ESC would there be any harm done by ordering a battery with the toy grade plugs on it and cutting that plug off and soldering a deans plug on it?
Old 01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As long as you do it right(solder quickly & make sure not to short anything), you should be just fine. In fact, many of today's better racing LiPos already come with a Deans connector installed on it....
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ya quite a few will come with Deans already installed. Just be aware that some companies will void your warranty if you replace the plugs.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'd try to find the lipo you want offered with Deans already installed. Lots of lipo sellers offer a few diff connectors and you typically pay a few more dollars to get the conn of your choice.

Another way is to order the lipo with no conn installed and then take care of it yourself. I've done it both ways, and its nice to get a lipo thats ready to plug-n-play.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info I guess first off this being my fault I forgot to mention the batteries I wanted to replace the leads on were niMh,the car I have is running a brushed motor for the time being but I've kind of done things backwards here I went ahead and ordered my radio set up as it will be the biggest financial sum of all that I'm going to do on upgrading this car.
But I was sort of figuring by the time I get everything together I'll likely start building a chassis kit anyhow.

Last edited by rc196868; 01-11-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default one other question

I was also wandering I used Deans plugs with good results on my lipo's when I was flying airplanes my question is this,are Deans plugs a good idea for cars or is it just a matter of choice for the individual?
The reason I'm mentioning Deans plugs is this was the format my car used right out of the box I've notice even traxas (if I spelled that right) and some others use the clip style plugs with the rounded contacts that slip into one another I do want to thank all of you this is what the hobby should be about helping dummies like me figure out the simple stuff

Last edited by rc196868; 01-11-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My Sav Flux came with Deans installed from HPI, so some companies still use them. Traxxas designed their own version of a high current connector, its just called a Traxxas plug. Its mostly pesonal preference, I have been using deans a long time and have had good results with them. Both of these types cannot be plugged in with the polarity reversed. I like Deans cause they're small and effective. I've never used the Traxxas ones.

There are also bullet connectors in various sizes from tiny to huge. The large ones have higher current carrying capacity than Deans or Traxxas but can be plugged in backwards (with disasterous results usually) as they are usually used (same sex end on connection). This is what bullets look like -

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJJ0&P=ML