Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Newbie breaking in a new nitro r/c >

Newbie breaking in a new nitro r/c

Newbie breaking in a new nitro r/c

Old 01-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie breaking in a new nitro r/c

Hello everybody. I've been searching for a site like this one for a while now, and I'm glad to have found it. Very cool with lots of info . For Christmas I got a new XTM X-Terminator 2 buggy with a 24.7 engine. This is my first r/c car of this level. I have yet to fire it up and have so far just been admiring all the details in this thing and spent lots of time studying the owners manual. Wierd, I know, but thats how I enjoy things, I gotta take it slow and examine every last bit while devouring all available info for a good while.

I want to get max life/performance, so I kow how important it is to properly break in that engine. The manual says to check the engine temp during the break in process and not to let the engine go over 270 deg F.. The only non contact thermometer I have only reads to 230 deg F.. Will this do? I'll get a better one if I need to, but they're kinda pricey.

The break in bible here is similar to what is shown in my owners manual and that's what I plan to do once the weather warms up a little. Any other break in advise?

Thanks to all,
Dusty
Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Get one of these - you'll need better than the one you have and this one won't break the bank -

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3C%2FB%3Epoint

Remove plug and put several drops of after run oil in the cly and turn it over a few times to distribute the oil, then put the plug back in. These engines get a little lube when new, but in sitting a long time between manufacture and getting to you, its mostly dry inside and the ARO give it some lube so you don't scratch the cyl turning it over.

Use a hair dryer to preheat the head and get it hot before you crank it up, this expands things so they're not so tight and reduces wear and tear on starter.

Have fun!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice presesnt! yeah i wish i found one of these sites before I ruined the life of my Hyper .21 but i had some fun with it so i cant comaplan. But so what Dust said with the hair dryer it will help the break in process a lot. Good luck have fun!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Yep, pre-heat the engine to as close to 200 as you can. Try and keep the temps around 200 while you're breaking it in. You may want to wrap some tin foil around the head to help keep the temps up.

When you shut the truck down, always make sure the piston is at bottom dead center. When you turn over the engine, it will feel loose when its at the bottom.

Heat it up for the first gallon or so if you can