Startup angst

Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Startup angst

I recently purchased a Redcatracing RC car for my 9 year-old. I won;t go into all the droll details of broken parts right out of the box and mis-matched frequencies for transmitter and receiver. I'll cut to the chase with my question to any kindly RC gurus. Preamble: my little fellow got five whole minutes of play with this toy before it hit a puddle and ceased to function.

Examination by an electronic engineer friend determined that the ESC is toast. The battery is full and the receiver is getting signal and passing it along (steering servos work). just no go.

Q: should I order a new ESC from Redcat racing or are there other, better after-market choices? i live near Vancouver BC- what are the good RC shops around here? The shop in Squamish that sold me this ($179 plus tax) is useless and I hope not to patronize them further. The mfg.warranty is apparently voided the moment the car moves.

Any help appreciated.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what vehicle is it?

and is it a brushed, or brushless motor?

I assume its one of these vehicles?

http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...ctric-Standard
Old 01-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

traxxas makes a waterproof esc not for racing but for your 9 year old son a safe call. i not sure about redcat racing but here is the traxxas link.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...ories_escs.htm

just look into the size of the esc to make sure it fits
Old 01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Startup angst

Yes, it looks like the Vortex EPX but this is an "EP": conventional motor, not brushless. Looks like the guy sold me an discontinued model (at an inflated price). Got a kick out those pix. Poor lil guy under that mean Hummer.

Thanks for the info on the Traxxas ESC's. There's lots of room for it and it could be smart move: we live on a rain-forest island and dry days are rare this time of year.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

redcat racing doesnt look like they have good quality control or high wuality stuff. it would be better to purchase a after market esc. you could even get a faster motor at a later time if you wanted with a upgraded esc.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bowen boy View Post
Got a kick out those pix. Poor lil guy under that mean Hummer.
thats my signature, sorry I added the links there when I wasn't able to post pics on here (need a certain number of posts)

btw, the original speed controller would be repairable, and it shouldn't take too much work.

but, if you're not wanting to spend too much, you could always try the cheapest, nastiest brushed speed controller you can find... but, who knows how long it'll last..
Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Ammojammo,
I'll check out the prices on aftermarket. This teeny component looks beyond my capabilities to repair and we're a bit distant from RC shops here.

Looking at your brushless cheapo the chassis and suspension fittings look pretty much identical to ours. Probably issued from the same factory.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bowen boy View Post
Looking at your brushless cheapo the chassis and suspension fittings look pretty much identical to ours. Probably issued from the same factory.

Thanks.
its HSP.

what you bought was most likely HSP, with a different brand name, and higher price tag

but thats alright, I'm sure your son will have fun ..actually, you never specified it was your son... you very tactfully failed to specify gender at all... hmm..

I've bent two shock struts on mine, and the front shock tower multiple times.

plus somehow, I've managed to bend ALL the dog bones, including the centre one?

because yours is a "truck" its got a bit more protection