R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   on road tire size question from newbie (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/356837-road-tire-size-question-newbie.html)

rc196868 01-02-2010 01:32 PM

on road tire size question from newbie

Hi guys and gals if any I'm Tim.
First off I hope I've put this thread in the right place I'm always being told I've screwed up and posted in the wrong place.
Well to my question I'm just getting started in this part of the radio control hobby going from the air to the ground (at least this time its not going to cost me a new prop):D.
So waiting out the holidays I decided that I would get started and the way I did so was one which I would never think of doing with airplanes (ARF) but looking this hobby over I made the decision to go with an RTR set up of course I'll likely be buying a new battery for longer run time,and the motor is brushed.
I decided on this because it can be upgraded latter on I'm not going to take a $400+ set up out not knowing what I'm doing and destroying it in less than three seconds time.
Sorry to go on a long winded story here anyhow while looking over the specs on this car I noticed a diameter size that I've not seen listed anywhere other than in the site I bought it from that being (65*26 mm)now I've seen 24mm,26mm,and 28mm tires listed as on road tires in Tower hobby and all the other hobby places but nothing under 65*26mm.
So if anyone could and I'm sure some one knows what this means please share I guess I should add that this is an exceed champion I know its an off brand and its not an HPI or Team Associate etc,but the point is if I crash this one well its not going to hurt my feelings quite as bad as if it were one of the fore mentioned.

bowl806 01-02-2010 02:23 PM

Hi Tim, Welcome to the world of off-road RC! This is a great place for info!The mm size tire you mentioned ie:26mm are used for on road stuff as I have a 1/10 Tamiya Mini Cooper and I run 26mm foams on it. If you are looking at off road stuff mostly you will look for 2.2 size tires. There are quite a few new off road vehicles that are pretty durable and won't cost you an wing and a prop (little play on words); some of them being Traxxas Slash, HPI blitz and I am sure others will pipe in to encourage others. These vehicles can be built up for little cost (by comparison) to literally "fly.)" Hope you find some of this info helpful.

rc196868 01-03-2010 01:00 PM

Thanks for the infor and welcome Bowl806,so am I right in assuming 26mm on roads is what I want when looking into replacig those that come stock on this thing.
Well its tires that stumped me in the cars and batteries and esc's that got me when I was flying planes.
I'm very happy to see that at least the manufacturers of electric cars seemed to have pulled the curtain of mystery away from the ESC brushless motor set ups planes were a real pain everyone wanted to be proprietary,building motor's only to be used with their planes and lipo's.
Anyhow thanks for the welcome this place is a wealth of information for sure.