Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which radio should I buy? Spektrum...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default which radio should I buy? Spektrum...?

Hello,
I am still new to RC and read a lot throught this forum, but could not find the information to decide which radio & receiver I should buy.

I read a lot from the different Spektrums, e.g. DX3S or DX3E, but there are also other brands which most properly are cheaper, but which ones are good? e.g. MX Sport or from Futaba?
I am sure what is makes sense to buy one with 2.4GHz technology, but do I need a 3rd channel? Makes the telemetry sense if I will drive only electric cars, e.g. can it tell me the motor temperatures or rpm of a brushless motor and makes it sense? GPS to get the speed might be fine, but required?

I have an E-Revo with Traxxas radio and thinking of buying a buggy where I need a radio&receiver, not sure if and when another car will follow
Thank you

Last edited by espcarino; 12-05-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i've told many a person to do this, so i will tell u. b/c it works despite soundin dumb. go to ur hobby shop or raceshop and check em out. ask to hold em them and see how they feel in ur hand. if the shop wont let u, then dont buy there. but hold them and see how they feel in ur hand. strike up a conversation w/the employee bout anythin rc. anythin, racing, classes, idiots on rctech, etc etc. try all teh 1s in ur price range that meet your needs. the 1 you forget your holding is the 1 you want. doesnt matter what 'features' it has, if its not comfortable it'll impede your enjoyment of the hobby.

good luck

R
Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
i've told many a person to do this, so i will tell u. b/c it works despite soundin dumb. go to ur hobby shop or raceshop and check em out. ask to hold em them and see how they feel in ur hand. if the shop wont let u, then dont buy there. but hold them and see how they feel in ur hand. strike up a conversation w/the employee bout anythin rc. anythin, racing, classes, idiots on rctech, etc etc. try all teh 1s in ur price range that meet your needs. the 1 you forget your holding is the 1 you want. doesnt matter what 'features' it has, if its not comfortable it'll impede your enjoyment of the hobby.

good luck

R
+1 I whole heartedly agree
Old 12-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

that makes sense with the local store, but let me change my question: Which features are usefull? Do you use temperature controll, rpm, etc. for electric cars? What do you use? Is a cheap DX3E fine or better spend $200 and more for a radio & receiver?
Thank you
Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Other than the basic throttle, steering trim(s),EPA (end point adjustments), batt level, the 2.4 frequency, etc for just bashing around I don't think you really need much more. I use Airtonics M11 and it's more than I'll ever need. Check around-the new airtronics is cheaper (meaning less $$$) w/adjustments galore, than some of the Futabas. Never owned Spectrum and not to speak negative of them in any way,shape or form, but I'm sure there's good n bad in all.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bowl806
Other than the basic throttle, steering trim(s),EPA (end point adjustments), batt level, the 2.4 frequency, etc for just bashing around I don't think you really need much more. I use Airtonics M11 and it's more than I'll ever need. Check around-the new airtronics is cheaper (meaning less $$$) w/adjustments galore, than some of the Futabas. Never owned Spectrum and not to speak negative of them in any way,shape or form, but I'm sure there's good n bad in all.
Thank you. I changed to buy a Airtronics MX3 as it is cheaper as a DX3S and should have the features I most properly need
Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My boy uses an MX-3. It's a good radio but a battery hog.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Rookie

i'm using a spektrum dx3r. haven't got a chance to use any other brand. therefore, can't give testaments as to how other brands is like....

features is enough for me. and i like it. most other likes it cuz it's light. you need only 4 batteries compared to 8 in some/most transmitters.

nevertheless, do see what the local guys are using for races etc... you would be able to see which are the preferred brands... partly due to features and quality, and alot may be due to service levels and availability of spare parts...

juz my thoughts...
Old 12-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have heard that the new MX-3 is cheap and reliable. I own the MX-3S, and is definitely a great radio, provided it has its flaws, like almost all radios do. The MX-3S did drain the battery quite quickly, which is why I bring the charger when I use it at my local track, so it isn't the best option, but will do exactly what you need and more

Last edited by taco94; 12-11-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: irrelevant
Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by cbr74
My boy uses an MX-3. It's a good radio but a battery hog.

get the new Energizer LITHIUM AA's.
they last at least 5 times as long
i installed them in one of my radios over a year ago, and still reading 12.2v on the screen.
a little pricey compared to alcalines, but worth it.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Futaba 3pk or 4pk
Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by GatorRunRaceway
Futaba 3pk or 4pk
I have the Futaba 3PK. Is the lipo update for ~$200 a good investment?

Thanks