Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP me find the suitable batteries/charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HELP me find the suitable batteries/charger

I'm a beginner and i need some help on buying batteries.
Also i'm confused about all those ESC and BEC,can anyone tell me in detailed.

My transmitter/receiver:
ww.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...z_2Ch_Tx_&_Rx_
My servos
ww.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sp?idProduct=2

What type of battery do i have to buy for the receiver and Servos?
Do i need a ESC, or a BEC?.All the battery i have looked are at least 7.4V,which my receiver can't handle at all.

If anyone could explain or recommend one,please help me find the items on
ww.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp

Www=i was unable to post URLs
Old 12-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your links don't work. Just give the model # and brand of the stuff.

Also, you didn't mention what vehicle you are using. You will need an ESC (assuming your vehicle is electric), and your batteries will depend completely on what vehicle you are putting them in and the capabilities of your ESC and possibly even the current your motor draws.

Don't worry that your receiver can't handle 7.4v, the ESC will not supply full power to the receiver. Usually only 6v or less goes to the receiver even in 22.2v setups.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ESC is an Electronic Speed Controller
BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit

In days gone by you had to run a receiver pack for your radio and for servo power. Now with electronics your ESC usually has an internal BEC so it eliminates the need for the receiver battery, as it states above. The speed controller takes the full power of the battery and controls the speed and direction of the motor. the internal BEC then taps off this power and delivers approx 4 - 6 volts to the receiver plug to power the radio and servos.

The only time you need a bigger BEC or external batteries now is if the servos you are running can draw more than the internal BEC can deliver..

hope this helps
Old 12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've got two Imax B6 Lipo balance chargers and they work great. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

I've got some Epower lipo batteries that work great also. They are 2s Lipo's 7.4V. They are 15C, 20C, 30C. I've got a different variety of batteries. Never had a problem with those.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Hope it may help

TX (transmitter) and RX (receiver) batteries are different in size, have different mAh requirements,
and different voltages. Typically, an RX 2-cell LiPo battery is 7.4 volts with mAh (millampere hours)
from 1100 to 1800 or more. A TX battery has up to 11.1 volts - it’s important that you NEVER plug a
11.1 volt battery into your RX or it will damage the circuitry of the receiver. Also there are receivers on
the market that are not compatible with the 7.4 volt batteries, so a voltage regulator must be used to
reduce the voltage level so it won’t damage the receiver itself. A typical RX has a 6.0 volt maximum.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You need 10 posts before you can post links......

Here's his 1st link, the radio -

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...z_2Ch_Tx_&_Rx_

and the 2nd link has too much missing to pull it up unfortunately. Give us teh HC SKU number so we can find the servos.

For the radio, you can use 8 AA rechargeables like these -

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9907

or these (better cause they are the newer low self discharge AAs - hold their charge much longer) -

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10456

If you have an esc, the servos really don't need anything as far as a rx pack. The power for the rx and servos will be supplied by the esc's internal BEC using power from the main batt pac(s).