Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Begginer , new to rcs ;)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Begginer , new to rcs ;)

Hey im new to rc cars but im interested in nitro rc cars. Im just wondering does anyone have advice in which like scales and motors and engines i should go for? It would be much appreciated
thanks haha
Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are a beginner start with electric. Nitro requires WAY more maintnance and repairs. Here are a few companies that make good nitro and electric cars:

Team associated
Team Losi
Traxxas
Hpi
Ofna

Go on these sites and look at the different models. Get a RTR(ready to run). So that when you get it you can drive it. You won't need to buy a motor or transmitter. You can also go to your local hobby shop and see waht they would recommend to you.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, B4Power is definitely right. Many beginners go to electric offroad because with the new electric technology( brushless systems, Li-po batteries ) because with the brushless system( motor and electronic speed control ), you almost don't need to do anything once you install it, and offroad because most people just enjoy the bumps and jumps

What I see are many beginners going with Slashes, which are electric offroad trucks. They are durable, cheap, and racing them is just plain fun.

Hope all I did helps!!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Might I add that the Slashes are only $195.00 or less and are RTR( ready to run ). All you will need is an 8.4-volt battery and a basic battery charger. Check if your local hobby shop supplies electric equipment.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4power
If you are a beginner start with electric. Nitro requires WAY more maintnance and repairs. Here are a few companies that make good nitro and electric cars:

Team associated
Team Losi
Traxxas
Hpi
Ofna

Go on these sites and look at the different models. Get a RTR(ready to run). So that when you get it you can drive it. You won't need to buy a motor or transmitter. You can also go to your local hobby shop and see waht they would recommend to you.
+1. If you dont mind tuning engines all the time then Nitro is the way to go.
Otherwise start off with electric.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default also a rookie...

Just the thread I was looking for. Hope it's ok to jump in here Ken. I want to get into this hobby, my buddy has started, and he is a good source of info, but I'd like to pick up on some opinions here.
The number one question I have is scale...is there a prefered or better size to start in. Other than cost, what would make a guy decide on 1/8 or 1/10th etc..? I am leaning towards elec. for the reasons mentioned. Brushless, Li po, 4x4 Truggy or Buggy.
Taco refered to "slashes"...what are they?
Biggest question I have for you guys is money. If a newbie had a $250-300 budget, could he get something like I described above?

Thanks, John
Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Slash is an on/off road CORR 2wd truck made by Traxxas. As the rest of these posts say, it is best to start w/electric. There is nothing like the rush and noise from a gas powered anything but for starters (even vets) plug n play is fun! With your budget I would also suggest going with the Slash; pick up a charger and batt and you're good to go-- You can always upgrade. taco94, B4power have told you pretty straight up.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm new to this hobby, too. I started because I bought my twin sons both a Traxxas Slash. They were just too cool. Theirs don't have a brushless setup yet, but they will one of these days. I don't trust them with the Lipo batteries yet either. After I saw how much fun they were, I bought a used Traxxas Rustler from a co-worker. It is brushless. (Can't let the boys beat their old man.)
Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

all right then--Good for you!! My boys say, "Hey Dad- How come yours is more faster--that's mean!" (ha ha), My wife says, "When are you going to grow up!"- and I say, "heh heh heh" That's smart holding out on the Lipos for awhile.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

electric-higher up front expense
nitro -higher continuing expense

if your budget is 250-300, goin nitro? plan for 500+ by time ur at a good state where only ur usual consumables are all your buying (odd broken part, clutch parts, fuel, filters, filter oil, fuel line, plugs, gaskets etc)

R