Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restoring old RC10

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Restoring old RC10

I am having trouble finding out what rims/wheels will fit the old RC10 buggy. I am looking to restore my old car I have had since I was a kid. The shocks on the car also need to be replaced because they leak, does anyone know which ones I could use to replace the stock shocks?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default rc10

which RC10 are you restoring?
If you want to send me some pics I can see what parts i have to fit that model. I have a gold pan and some parts and a T2 stealth and some parts.
which shocks are on yours?
email some pics to [email protected]
Old 10-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by j33p3r
which RC10 are you restoring?
If you want to send me some pics I can see what parts i have to fit that model. I have a gold pan and some parts and a T2 stealth and some parts.
which shocks are on yours?
email some pics to [email protected]
It is a stock RC10 buggy I think I got in 1990. It has pretty much all stock parts. I replaced all the electronics except for the receiver with what came with my TC4 RTR. I am also having a bad problem with the car glitching really bad whenever I apply any throttle, everything becomes real erratic. I know the cause of the problem is probably the fact the somehow the radio's antenna got broken but I don't even know which antenna will fit in the radio. It is an old Futaba Magnum Junior that I bought around the same time.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

rc10talk.com
Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

your glitching on throttle could also be from worn / bad brushes or corrosion on the comm
Old 10-31-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool Glitching

the glitching is from the speed control more than likely i had the same problem with my T4. you should put the newer hard andonized associated shocks on, i like those alot. they dont leak and have good seals.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by veghead211
I am having trouble finding out what rims/wheels will fit the old RC10 buggy. I am looking to restore my old car I have had since I was a kid. The shocks on the car also need to be replaced because they leak, does anyone know which ones I could use to replace the stock shocks?
I was in my lhs the other day and believe it or not they had some "gold" shocks pm me i will give you their number, also i used to have one and i have an original unused sticker sheet, interested just pm me. Your on a great project though.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

is it a gold pan car?, if so i seen some wheels on e-bay.You should try there.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm going to clear this up so I can try to get some answers so I can get this thing running again.

I have an old off road RC10 that I need to find rims and tires for. The car has the stock dogbones not CVD's. I would like to see if there are still rims and tires that I can use with the stock setup without having to buy any extra parts. The front tires have the flanged ball bearings that are seated in the rim itself and I'm wondering if the newer rims will fit these same bearings.

The glitching I am having problems with I seriously doubt is caused by the ESC because it is practically brand new as is the motor. The glitching only happens when throttle is applied and I think it may be due to the fact that the radio's antenna has the last section of it broken off. So I would also like to know if there is a replacement antenna I can buy for the radio (Futaba Magnum Junior).

I would like to buy NEW parts for the car, I am not looking to replace the stock parts that came with the kit I built. I am not trying to replicate the old school look of the car, I would actually like to race it at my local track when the season starts again.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

since you do want to race it, are you stuck on using old style rims and tires or you wou want to convert it to run modern rims and tires? I don't think it takes much to change it over, I think its new bearings and rear axles not the dog bone part. I think modern rears are 3/32.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

as for original parts here is a list with links

http://lowclasscc.net/rc10_parts_list.pdf

now with that said. all currently available parts come in black. if you want white you will have to search elsewhere.

as far as racing it you need to mod it to run 2.2" wheels and tires. unless you do the tire upgrade you wont stand a chance on the track. there are also other upgrades that you can do to bring the car up to roar width. these mods would also be advisable. i race a vintage rc10 against the b4's. and the car i drive holds its own. but then again it has been highly modded to get it there.

racing a vintage buggy is not a cheap thing to do. i have more money tied up in mine than a 2 new b4's would cost. lets not forget about having enough spare parts with you on race night. cause if you break something it is very doubtful the track will have what you need on race night. break a part in practice without a replacement your done for the night.

now every bit of information you are seeking and needing is on rc10talk.com. don't be scared they don't bite much.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
since you do want to race it, are you stuck on using old style rims and tires or you wou want to convert it to run modern rims and tires? I don't think it takes much to change it over, I think its new bearings and rear axles not the dog bone part. I think modern rears are 3/32.
Yes, I would like to put modern tires and rims on the car. I just haven't got much of a clue on how to do it.

I know that I have to get new bearings and axles but I don't know if I have to get new hub carriers as well. I know that MIP used to make a kit to do this but it is no longer available at tower, maybe I can find it somewhere else.

I do have some rims that I found for the rear end that were in a big bag of junk I was going to throw away (not the stock rims that came with the kit) that fit perfectly and have some big spikey tires mounted on them, so I can use those for the time being.

A thread on RC10 talk mentioned that I could use duratrax evader bx 2 rims on the front and I almost bought a set but didn't know what bearings I would need to install them on my ride.

I can't post links but if you want pics of my car they are on RC10 talk under Vintage RC10 section, RC10 buggy forum and the title of the thread is "Need new rims and tires for original RC10". Seeing what I'm working with might help anyone interested in helping me out.