Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need help with Nitro touring car >

Need help with Nitro touring car

Need help with Nitro touring car

Old 03-03-2002, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Default Need help with Nitro touring car

I just finished "breaking-in" my .15 O.S. CV-X. I broke it in accrording to Ron Paris's "break-in" procedures. I'm using Byron's 20% nitro fuel w/14% lubrication(I used the same fuel for "break-In" but with 18.5% lube). My O.S. is mounted in a nitro TC3 4wd touring car. My problem is, I can't finish a 5min. race without running out of fuel. I'm running out of fuel after about 4 minutes. Everyone is telling me that the motor is too-rich but the car is hauling butt down the straight and it has awesome low-end power. I don't have a temp gun yet so I can't tell you how hot my motor is after a race. Any help will be appreciated-Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Need help with Nitro touring car

Originally posted by proudwinner
I just finished "breaking-in" my .15 O.S. CV-X. I broke it in accrording to Ron Paris's "break-in" procedures. I'm using Byron's 20% nitro fuel w/14% lubrication(I used the same fuel for "break-In" but with 18.5% lube). My O.S. is mounted in a nitro TC3 4wd touring car. My problem is, I can't finish a 5min. race without running out of fuel. I'm running out of fuel after about 4 minutes. Everyone is telling me that the motor is too-rich but the car is hauling butt down the straight and it has awesome low-end power. I don't have a temp gun yet so I can't tell you how hot my motor is after a race. Any help will be appreciated-Thanks.
Even though the car runs great are you getting alot of smoke from the exhaust? If so then its tsill rich. Try leaning it out a bit. You dont necessarily need a temp gun to tell if you engine is over heating, the car will tell you sort to speak. Turn the needle in very small increments. You can always so the spit test after a hard run bring the car in as fast as possible and drop some spit on teh head of the engine. It should take 1 to 2 seconds to burn off. If it sizzles right when its hits it its too hott.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Need help with Nitro touring car

Originally posted by Mr MTX

Even though the car runs great are you getting alot of smoke from the exhaust? If so then its tsill rich. Try leaning it out a bit. You dont necessarily need a temp gun to tell if you engine is over heating, the car will tell you sort to speak. Turn the needle in very small increments. You can always so the spit test after a hard run bring the car in as fast as possible and drop some spit on teh head of the engine. It should take 1 to 2 seconds to burn off. If it sizzles right when its hits it its too hott.
Thanks MTX! Yeah I do have alot of smoke emiting from the exhaust especially when I exit a corner on-power(half to full throttle). Now I'm running 20% nitro w/14% lube, I hope that isn't messing up the equation but I'm gonna try leaning it out some more. All the answers I've been getting is that it's too fat. I just don't want to reach the danger point. Thanks alot for your help.

Last edited by webspinner; 03-07-2002 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Need help with Nitro touring car

Originally posted by proudwinner
I would lean out the high end a little to obtain a more longer run time. I think the low end should be left alone since in my opinion it's the most tempermental.