R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   on road maintenance (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/32643-road-maintenance.html)

djrfan 02-02-2004 04:15 AM

on road maintenance

hi guys
new to this sport but am learning the hard way about maintanance
i have cooked a motor and ceased a diff bearing :(
what im after is your maintenance routine
what you do to new struff (bearings motors )
what you do during meetings
and what you do during the week
cheers
richard

Cole Trickle 02-02-2004 05:43 AM

I'm not sure if we're talikng electric or nitro?

mop_iko 02-02-2004 06:23 AM

i hope this might help you ....

Originally posted by djrfan
hi guys
new to this sport but am learning the hard way about maintanance
i have cooked a motor and ceased a diff bearing :(
what im after is your maintenance routine
what you do to new struff (bearings motors )
what you do during meetings
and what you do during the week
cheers
richard

OK... i have posted this link somewhere in rctech.net

the link shows what to do and how you do it in GENERAL MAINTENANCE ROUTINE.... be it EP or GP cars....

i hope it might help you A LITTLE....

click this link

click this link to see titles of GP and EP maintenance

this is what they say : "We are dedicated to building, racing, maintaining, upgrading, repairing and modifying nitro methane (glow-fuel powered) radio control cars, trucks and buggies."

and maybe i should give this link also... how to avoid MAKING SILLY MISTAKES before you run your CAR... like i did before!

:tire: mop:tire:

djrfan 02-02-2004 12:47 PM

my mistake

sorry guys it is electric
touring car
running a 540 motor
cheers

Cole Trickle 02-03-2004 03:40 AM

First thing, is to get the gearing right, so you dont burn up the motor. General rule of thumb, your car should reach top end speed at 3/4 of the longest straight. If it dont hit max speed, use a smaller pinon. If it hit max speed earlier than 3/4, use a larger pinon.

You should cut the comm on the motor with proper intervals. The frequency depends on which kind of 540 motor you got (turns). And sometimes it needs new brushes too.

Batteries is a chapter in itself. First of, you need a good peak detection charger. If you're running NiMh, or is planning to do, you should get a NiMh ready charger.

Further battery care depend on the type of cells.

rc_square24 02-03-2004 07:06 AM

this is what i do ,

i usually have two sets fof bearings, one for practice and the other for races. that goes for parts like arms and belts as well.

during meetings, i usually check the spur, diff pulleys, belts for any dirt or rocks in them(if yure running a belt drive).

i would also check all toe and camber angles as well as tweak if the chassis is twisted or not.

sometimes i also take the pinion gear off to see if any bearings are dirty by pulling the belt and feeling it.
hope this helps