Fast, Faster, Fastest >

Fast, Faster, Fastest

Fast, Faster, Fastest

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Fast, Faster, Fastest

Hey everybody,
just got into racing 3 weeks ago. Before that I've been around R/C since Tamyia had the original Frog out but just as a basher. I got into VTA with a used TC4 running a 17.5 on an LRP SPX Competition Stock with a 4 cell NiMh. I've asked battery questions before. The ESC is currently set at about midpoint aggressiveness (gotta play w/ it to see if more aggressive is better at the track). BTW, my gearing is at the high end of the VTA specs for my combo.

Today I'm looking for driving tips either from you, a link, or a thread here (so much info here). I'm looking to close a 2 second gap between the A main and the B that I'm in. I've place 1, 2, and 3 in my three races. I know the shortest path around the course is a tight one. But I'm looking for best ways to take turns both w/ steering and throttle control. And when the tight lines aren't the best.

I know I have to get in practice to get faster but I should practice the right way to get the best improvement right?

So, anything you got: links to helpful articles, threads in this site, even downloads. Just too much stuff out there and I know you folks know where the best stuff is.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

find what people are geared at for fdr's on the 17.5s and work on that. although the tc4 isnt the best racer on the track it is still competitive. ask yourself is you have enough traction with the vta tires. on the straits go high and then low on the turns or increase corner speed. how big is the track. i am geared at a 3.5 fdr and i am very fast on accel even with people geared at 3.7's and 3.6's. maybe a oneway will work, but see what other people are using. what surface are you running on?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default answers to prev question

Surface - carpet

Other 17.5's FDR is 3.5 and 3.6

Track size - pretty big maybe 30 x 60 (bad at estimating the size)

I will take a closer look at what other guys are running. I think everyone in the A main is running 21.5 w/ 2c lipo as spec'ed for the third combo option. Can't afford that right now so I want to improve everything else I can now.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tiger72 View Post
Surface - carpet

Other 17.5's FDR is 3.5 and 3.6

Track size - pretty big maybe 30 x 60 (bad at estimating the size)

I will take a closer look at what other guys are running. I think everyone in the A main is running 21.5 w/ 2c lipo as spec'ed for the third combo option. Can't afford that right now so I want to improve everything else I can now.
its all setup i won a big race with a 17.5
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home View Post
find what people are geared at for fdr's on the 17.5s and work on that. although the tc4 isnt the best racer on the track it is still competitive. ask yourself is you have enough traction with the vta tires. on the straits go high and then low on the turns or increase corner speed. how big is the track. i am geared at a 3.5 fdr and i am very fast on accel even with people geared at 3.7's and 3.6's. maybe a oneway will work, but see what other people are using. what surface are you running on?
The track is 100' x 36' high traction carpet.

I think you're losing a lot of time in the turns because it turns so much - those blue springs in the rear may be too stiff. With your motor coming off as such low temps, you may need to gear higher if you can fit it in. BUT, base that on what happens when you use that newer 4200 pack instead of the 3300's - those 3300's may not be capable of dumping the amps needed to really use that motor.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks, I'll try softer springs and see how the newer battery affects the car. I do have another pinion to gear up that will fit. After that I'm buying a spur.

Guess I was off a bit on the track size huh?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cyclone x View Post
its all setup i won a big race with a 17.5
That's one of the most important things. And remembering that slow is fast.

It sound stupid, I know. But you have to experience it to know it's meaning.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
That's one of the most important things. And remembering that slow is fast.

It sound stupid, I know. But you have to experience it to know it's meaning.
yeha i understand
Old 06-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Well, raced yesterday. I bumped up the aggressiveness on the ESC by 1, used a 4200 batt instead of the 3300, and got help from fellow racers and a set up board for the first time. I shaved 1.1 sec off my lap time, picked up 2 laps, and won the B main. The set up helped tremendously. I never knew it could have so much affect on the car.

Still open to more tips if you got anything you want to share.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

what car r u racing with
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cyclone x View Post
what car r u racing with
A TC4 in a VTA class. The other components are in the first posting, I must have forgot to mention the car. Sorry.