Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need expert/first hand advice on what to truck to buy. >

Need expert/first hand advice on what to truck to buy.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need expert/first hand advice on what to truck to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need expert/first hand advice on what to truck to buy.

Hey guys,
I'm obviously a newb to this forum but we all have to start somewhere right? I am looking to purchase a very very very good car/truck. I need some advice/reccomendations about what cars are actually worth it. I basically want one of the best out there.

run down of what i want:

-budget is under $1000-ish
-bash hard off ramps, play in the dirt/mud and maybe water
-4wd truck/truggy/car
-quick and torque'y and top out at the least ... 50 mph
-durable and well made
-top of the game. I don't want to have upgrade/replace everything.

I've owned an electric ruster and a nitro rustler. This was about 12 years ago so don't hate. IMO they were both POS cars. I'd rather have a fun car, spend a bit of money, and have to do a lot of maintenance than have another car i'm not happy with.

I've been researching the Brushless Revo since its nearly waterproof, looks like what i want, and is in my budget. I am having second thoughts about it though. From the looks of videos, it handles just like a rustler and doesn't look that fast at all (even with lipo's). Hopefully it's just the videos i'm watching. Let me know Lipo Revo owners !!!

Question: How long of run time can i get off of the best lipo piggy back battery set up?

I've been searching for about an hour so far and i can't dig up anything useful on whether there's something better to bash, jump, and go fast with. Brushless lipo or nitro reccomendations are welcome. If you've seen your share of r/c's..... Just give me a reccomendation on a brand and model and i'll start my searching again.

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited by AndrewR2442; 05-22-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Losi 8ight-T 2.0, or Associated SC8
Old 05-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'm not a Traxxas guy at all and I would say a brushless E-Revo. Put a couple big lipos in it and go. With the speeds you can get from brushless and lipos nitro isn't worth the hassle.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

well since everyone has suggested the electric stuff i'll give you some suggestions from a nitro guy..

everyone on here is gonna tell you what they like better, but it might not be what you want.. so its up to you to make that decision.. so im a nitro guy and run an HPI Savage 25 with aluminum a-arms, alum bulkhead side plates, alum steering blocks and c hubs, tmaxx 2.5 rims and tires, 120,000 wt diff oil, 35wt shock oil, alum shock towers, an STS .28 nitro engine, 4.6 shocks, savage x radio box, savage x 2 speed tranny, dual disk brakes and some other stuff.. as you can see i have quite a few upgrades and i dont plan on stopping hehe.. so i like the savage i have with everything, chargers, fuel, batteries etc i have around the $2000 canadian dollar mark in mine and a friend has the same his savage x. this is my first nitro truck and my only rc right now, i did have a few electrics like 15 years ago (so when i was about 6) and it was great back then.. but now electric to me is boring..

here's a bit on nitro's.. they can get picky at times with tuning. the other i should mention is that fuel for these trucks is a little expensive.. not sure where you live, but here the fuel i run (XP 33%) is $40 a gallon.. they last from 15-45 minutes on a tank of fuel.. course you gotta break it in when you get one thats brand new, if its a friends of yours truck that you bought and its used well its easier for you.. other thing is chargers, glow plug ignitors, glow plugs, fuel bottle, glow plug wrench etc.. it all adds up.. but you only have to buy that stuff once after that it gets cheaper..

i've heard good things about the MGT 8.0 i know someone that has one and he loves it. i know a guy that has the T-maxx and his brother (or something, cant remember) has the savage 5.9 and they take them to our local skatepark and jump them 30-50 feet in the air.. they dont baby them, yes they do break something everytime they go out, but if i was tossed 50 feet in the air i'd break something too.. there' some info to chew on for now, if you have any questions about nitro trucks let my know i would be more than happy to help a newbie out.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Well, there are a lot of vehicles that would fit the bill but for the most fun on a budget I might have to pick up a good used Mugen MBX-5T truggy. You can find them at good prices very easily. It is incredibly tough. Will jump for miles and with a good Picco or OS based .28, will absolutely scream. If you want even lower maintainance, give it a brushless conversion.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

go with the savage flux or savage xl