First Race

Old 02-10-2002, 09:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First Race

Well...

I went out to the FIRST race of the season, and MY first race with an R/C car, in a "formal" setting...

First off... To all the open "Parking Lot" warriors... It's WAY Different when there's set corner's, Dots, and Wall's to navigate through

Second... It's bad enough that I can't drive for Poop, but then, having a bunch of other cars out around you makes it that much worse... Morning Practice was a EYE Opener, fast cars, slow cars, Crash Test Dummies like me, and trying to drive the course, WOW... Racing Line??? Yeah... I was just happy to keep it in the middle, or off to the side when I saw the FAST guys coming... Still hit, and got hit a bunch... Oh well...

I managed to Qualify into the A main for the Rookie's, might have done better, but the first heat was kinda a toss out... I didn't make many laps... The second heat though, I finished the most in my Qualifier, of all the cars in my heat, and I ran the last few laps on 3 wheels after breaking the Front Left.

I was FORTUNATE to be hooked up with a Seasoned Veteran who was also a Yokomo driver, and it turns out, he has popped in here... Hi Steve. Steve helped educate us on some of the finer points of what to expect during the day, and a little with some setup for the new environment... The Prepared Surface was a major change from what I have been "Practicing" on... I had to adjust what I thought was a good setup for me when the first couple laps in practice had me doing Serious Donuts...

As I posted elsewhere, the LHS didn't have the Spring Rates I was looking for, so I opted for a set of Kyosho's that had Soft, Med, and Firm packaged together, and started with adding the Soft to the Rear, and later adding the Firm up front.

I had the front so planted prior to the change that I experienced my first Traction Roll's, and that was something new for me...

Sooo... I managed to Qualify 8th for the A Main, and finished 6th... I had 5th, and was moving forward, about to nail 4th, and 3rd about the same time, and got slammed into the wall... It broke both my left side wheels, and the car lost the handle at that point, and it was all I could do to finish, and not loose any more spots...

All in All, lots of fun...

While I can see myself improving and becoming one of the faster "Beginner" class guys, I DREAD the thought of getting moved to Sportsman at some point... They have a large class, and there was much Carnage.

At the end of the day, I had a chance to talk with the Former Yokomo Team Driver, and National Champ (?) Barry Baker, now with Team Associated, and running his NTC3... He and his Teammate were there, and watching them Dice it Up was quite fun.... He ran away from some pretty fast, and very skilled Club Local's, and showed me what I could only dream of achieving at some point in my life... He said he's been at this for 13 years, so I guess I have a ways to go.

Whether it's true or not, he feels that the NTC3 is a superior car to the GT4, but then, he gets paid to day that... I know the NTC3 is a good car, and watching Barry drive was a treat, Definately a Display of experience, and practice, and of course, having everything imaginable at your disposal, for free Sponsorship muct be great!

He had said that he spent 6 years working for Yokomo, but I don't know what the situation may have been, and can only assume he left for a better "Deal", and not so much that he had a better car, but there's little doubt in my mind that had he ran a Well Prep'd GT4, he would have smoked the Field as badly as he did with his NTC3.

Anyway... Steve, and Art, and Mickey (?), thanks... We had a blast, and hope to be out, humbling ourselves once again... Guess I need to find a spot to start setting up a "course" and practicing more like what I would expect to see during Race Day, rather than just the basic Praking Lot blasts and thinking I was doing well...

Oh, also, while I have broken my share of parts so far, I, or rather, the car, held up great... The Wheels that broke were some cheap set I picked up at the LHS for like $6/set... I know better now...
Old 02-11-2002, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Congrat's jaydee good to hear that you had a good time, don't worry about getting better, you will once you've had some practice, anyway it sounds like you did well for your first race What car were you running?

P.S. No matter what I hear about the other sponsored drivers I always hear good stuff about Barry Baker. It's awsome you got to have a chat with him, hopefully you got some track tips off him right.......
Old 02-11-2002, 03:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Track Tips??? Not really...

I am running a Yokomo GT4 RTR, that I have made some changes with...

He did provide some insight on getting the GT4 to turn, and while it's good info, it doesn't help me much... Foam Tires, Front One-Way is WAYYYYY beyond where I am right now...

It was neat watching them get around though... Just impossible to imagine ever getting that smooth... I am about ready to hang up my Controller, and go back to Real Race Cars... Much easier to drive, and what I have seen so far, it may not be much difference in Cost

Thanks again....
Old 02-11-2002, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: First Race

Originally posted by jaydee
All in All, lots of fun...
I don't think your going to hang up your TX just yet.

But your right you know, I run Real Racer more then I run my real R/C. O that Omega.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Re: First Race

Originally posted by fatdoggy

I don't think your going to hang up your TX just yet.

But your right you know, I run Real Racer more then I run my real R/C. O that Omega.
I am guessing you're referring to the Online Game "Real Racer"....

I am talking about SCCA Sports Car racing...
Old 02-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Ops........ <--- A picture says a thousand words. Maybe you should budget and do both.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That'd be great getting to race with Barry at a club race. He's one of the best drivers in the world. I've never seen him run a nitro, but he's awsome with a Mod Sedan!

I race a full size stock car during the summer, and it's definately more expensive than R/C! But, they both seem to give the same headaches. lol
Old 02-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by JeffC
That'd be great getting to race with Barry at a club race.
Trust me... I wasn't RACING with Barry, but I did watch him put on a Racing Clinic

From what I understand, he was up, practicing the day before for the Carpet National's in Stockton (?), and came down to "School Everyone" on the Nitro TC3.

Roundy Rounds are fun, I spent a few seasons "getting dizzy" but I finally fixed my steering wheel and now, I turn Right too