Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
how to gain more steering in buggy? >

how to gain more steering in buggy?

how to gain more steering in buggy?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Default how to gain more steering in buggy?

hi guys i own an xray xb808 and have been racing for a bit now with good results i just need to fine tune my set up and wondering if i can get some help from the ones who know?

i am taking too long to turn on the corners id like to be a bit faster so i guess its more off-power steering im after i think as i enter a turn i need to slow down too much before i can take off again.

so what settings can i change to gain more steering? and what order should i try them? i have gone from 4 degrees rear toe to now only 2 degrees and i put a slightly thinner roll bar on the front but have yet to try it if it still wants to push what other things should i try and i mean all options to try.

any help appreciated thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

If your servo has been setup for maximum steering angle, then there are lots of reasons which can cause this problem. I assume you did slow down to proper speed when turning into corners, so it looks like your car is having excessive understeer. You can try soften front shock or stiffen rear, or use higher grip front tire or lower rear tire, or increase the front camber (negative), or tighten front diff a little or loosen the rear a little, or put anti-roll bar in the rear. Are you using front one way? if yes, try diff or spool. I would say try tire first, if you feel the car is gaining traction at the front, then you can play around other setup. Hope it helps
Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can always try putting on a stiffer set of springs in the rear. This will gain more steering off power, but might get a bit loose in traction. Try running a thinner sway bar in the rear. You can try removing the front sway bar to gain more steering.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Tech Addict

well i am using the same tires all round so i guess ill try other options first as i dont have a alot of tyre selection atm.

the diffs i am using is the standard diffs that came with the kit.

i am about to try the proline v3 rim and revolver tyres would the extra width
(5mm) help improve steering if i put them on front and rear? most guys use the extra wide rims/tyres just on the rear but i am tempted to try them on both front and rear.
there is room to put more neg camber on front so ill try that.

basically i want the car to have more overall steering on and off power i guess to gain a faster corner speed. but i think its more off-power steering i am having trouble with.

so a soft spring at front and stiffer spring at rear eh? atm im running the softest springs all round.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

It looks like you want your car have a little oversteer (loose). If you want to try some experiment, try two different grip sets of tires (try big difference), put one set at the front and another at the rear, if one setup gives you understeer (bigger turn), then swap the sets, you will have oversteer (normally), after that you will have idea what kind of tire combination you prefer, next try to make front and rear tires have closer grip because you don't want extreme behavior do you? Once you get your tires done, you can start to fine tune your car.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Tires are 90% of your setup although the Xray manuals have several pages with excellent descriptions of the individual adjustments and how to improve and tune the suspension. Don't overlook the diff oil - handling is drastically affected by changes here - lighter in rear (4-5k) is good for more steering.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/bug/print.pdf