Help!!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help!!

I am just getting back into the rc scene again after about 10 years. I have several cars/trucks....Losi xx, xxt, Optima Mid, Rustler in 1/10 electrics and a BMT & Ofna HODR in 1/8 gas. I am wanting to buy a brushless motor/esc for my electrics. I am looking at the Losi 1/10 Xcelorin 7500kV Brushless Combo LOSB9576, the 4800kV, the 6400kV, or the Traxxas VXL. My question is which one of these will work the best with my car(s) and why? What is the difference between the 4800, 6400, & 7500? What about reliability between the different systems? Also, I have purchased a pair of HARD Case Yeah Racing Li-Po Racing pack 7.4V 5000 mAh 25C along with a Thunder AC6 Smart 5-in-1 Balance Charger/Discharger. Were these the right choice? I will eventually purchase some 11.1 3s lipos. I have an 11 year old son who loves to play with these as well. We just race around the yard and occasionally we will go to a dirt track......just to race between us not competitively. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Those numbers are the brushless motors KV ratings and it's the RPM/volt the motors will turn (believe most are unrated) so as the KV goes up, for same voltage , motor rpm is increasing as well. Example 4800, 6400, 7500 at 7.4 volts (2S lipo nominal voltage) will be spinning at 35,520rpm, 47,360rpm and 57,350rpm. With these higher kv motors, you have to gear them down to be reasonable or you're interested in high speeds.

Simply put, chose something based on stock gearing that you'll be able to control. The 7500 motor would be a rocket and require a lot of skill to control. The 4800 would be easier to control and prob a lot more fun. I can't tell you which would be best since I'm not familar with those RCs. I have a lot of brushless setups though, ranging from 18th scales to several 8th scale setups. Castle Sidewinder/5700 in a Slash is my latest.

Your choices look like good choices. I'm not sure what the charger is delivered with, you may need a balance harness for your batts. Hard cased lipo typically use a separate balance harness with bullets that plugs into the batt, balance port and charger. You'll see what I mean when you have everything in front of you and sort thru what comes with charger.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You're going to love brushless and LiPo! Nearly zero maintenance... more runtime and speed to boot!

Losi motors and esc are top notch! You might want to think about upgrading your Losi XX vehicles. The parts are far and few between these days. Almost impossble to find tranny cases and gears.. new anyways.

Welcome back and have fun!

Jerome