Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Li po questions >

Li po questions

Li po questions

Old 03-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Li po questions

So i have a rc18t with tekin mini rage setup in it and was wondering wat are good li po batteries and wat all i need to run them i know i will need a charger was looking at the duratrx ice but any sugestions wil be helpful. and wats a good battery go for and what kind of runtimes will i be looking at thanks for your help
Old 03-30-2009, 05:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ice is a good charger but has no balancer for lipo. You will need a separate balancer to maintain the cell voltages balance. With the Ice charger you could buy a separate balancer like the Astro Blinky. It would be less complicated and eliminate a piece of equipment though if you get a charger with a builtin balancer. In the Ice price range - Hyperion 0606i -

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3630

There is also Venom Pro thats similar, has a balancer but apparently pretty poor instructions. There are several more. Did you want a DC powered charger? If not there are several AC/DC chargers in that range as well.

I switched to lipo running MiniQuakes and Vendettas. I went from GP1100 6 cell pacs to lipo and for less weight, was able to jump to 1500-1700mah capacity. My run times nearly doubled. Look at one of the trakpower lipos aimed at 18th scale like this one -

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVKS8&P=7
Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I charge my lipos with Duratrax ICE. It works well for charging my lipos. Duster 360 is right. You'll have to charge lipos with a lipo balancer. I bought Trak Power lipo balancer to charge the batteries up. This balancer works great with the ICE too.

There is some chargers out there with balancers built right in them. My brother bought a lipo charger that cost him $75.00. It's smaller then the ICE. He said that it charged his lipo battery faster then his ICE.

If you would like to know about this charger,PM me and I'll find out about his charger for you.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Very happy with my SMC 5000 2s 28C. I am charging with an LRP Pulsar3. Much like the Ice it does not balance so I also have a common sense balancer.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

irish great batt for a 1/10 car/truck but the smc 1750 i believe or its a 1650 thats a good stick pack for the mini cars stormerhobbies.com has it or order it from your lhs. as far as charger i have an ice and hate myself for spending the money on it. my suggestion is the turnagy they have 2 and both have a built in balancer one is 50$ and one is 75$ alot better than 130$ for the charger plus 30$ for the balancer. great set up if you have a power supply.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Location: Too close to the great mouse house known as Disney World.

I'm using an Onyx 230 charger for my lipo. It only has the banana plug outlets on it. Is this not a balance charger? Did I waste my money on this?

When I talked to my lhs before buying the charger, I was told that I could use the charger for my Blade CX heli, which is a balance charger, and uses the mini plug on my lipo pack. It will just take a few hours to charge, compared to the half hour with my 230.

Did I screw myself buying the 230? Or should I just use the small balance charger for the heli occasionally to balance?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stone D
I'm using an Onyx 230 charger for my lipo. It only has the banana plug outlets on it. Is this not a balance charger? Did I waste my money on this?

When I talked to my lhs before buying the charger, I was told that I could use the charger for my Blade CX heli, which is a balance charger, and uses the mini plug on my lipo pack. It will just take a few hours to charge, compared to the half hour with my 230.

Did I screw myself buying the 230? Or should I just use the small balance charger for the heli occasionally to balance?

From what I hear from everyone who has one of these, I would say no. Most users take this to the track over other bulky chargers and they get the job done.