Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Double Trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 03:59 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation Motor Double Trouble!!

Hi to all,
newbie on the run. Wanted to know more about the difference between motors....<amp...voltage> all kinds of stuff going on inside the motor...

Regars,
KEn
Old 11-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

On DC motors like these, the higher volts, the more amps.

Turns is more important. More turns, less amp draw, thus less power. Fewer turns, more power.

More winds, more torque, and fewer winds, more revs.

The "hotter" the motor, the more maintenance.

For racing on a track, I highly recommend you start out in stock class. After a proper time of practising (might be some years), you might consider a mod motor (=faster).

Brushless, is another story.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

don't even start on brushless, , a mod motor has much maintnense, but stock is very competitive, and easier, Stock motors need to be tuned to be faster, instead of just buying a faster motor.
Mod motor- comm(lot's), burshes(lot's), springs=both, hehe
stock- Comm(every 2-3 weeks), brushes(2-3), springs(2-3)
Stock is cheaper on motors, because they lat longer, usually, but is more expensive on batteries.
Mod is bad on motors, and u need good batteries to make runtime. But is very hard to drive that fast.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

It'll depend a lot on the level you race at. In several clubs, you can be competitive without extensive stock tuning. I find that cutting the comms every 20-25 runs, will be suitable.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

oo, well, for a rookie, 20-25 is good, i cut mine every three weeks, which is 12 races, maybe a total of 13 races with practice. Yes, my hometown lhs is easy enough to run a stock motor from the factory, and still get 3rd, then you tune it, and i'm battling for 1st every week. I go outa town, and i need to tune to keep up.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

I cut/brush change every two weeks of racing, but clean each week. That's about every 12 runs, by then the serrations have just gone. I could go a month if necessary but I really enjoy doing maintance, so by week two I'm itching to take out my lathe and clean up my motor.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not excatly an rookie, but I'm a casual racer. And as an opposite to fatdoggy, I dont like to cut comms etc. So I have several motors which I switch between. This way there's pretty long time between I find the lathe. Brushless is definately for me !

Besides, as said before, the need for stock motor tuning depends a lot on the level in the club. Our club is casual and we like it that way.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

IMO motor tuning on a dyno really isn't that important. If you've got the right brush and spring combo and you've alligned the brushes and polished the bushing's and the rest, the chances are you'll have a motor that is ok. Practice and gaining driving experience will teach you how to beat people without having equipment that is the best. Out wheel your competition, don't out power them.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Guys,

but i thing that i don't understand is "comms "?
What's that ?

REgards,
KEn
Old 11-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

The comm is what the brushes press onto. After a few runs the comm gets dirty and if you run for a long period of time without truing it, it wears down so there is a groove where the brushes contact the comm. When you true the comm you make the comm perfectely round again which means a more efficient motor and more power.

To true the comm you need a lathe, but I'm sure there is someone at your track that would be happy to do it either for free or for a small fee. I true others comm's for free at the track becuase we pretty much share equipment and odd's and ends(shims, bolts, nuts) so it pretty much cancels it's self out at the end of the day. It's all about keeping the cars running, racing isn't fun if your the only car on the track.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:11 AM
Tech Adept

Whoaw...it's sure it's troublesome ... BTW: Is brushes refillable in the motor?

Regards,
KEn
Old 11-28-2003, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Yep you can buy brushes for about $2-$3us a pair. You usually replace the brushes each time you cut the comm.