Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
where to begin >

where to begin

where to begin

Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default where to begin

I am looking to get into the RC hobby. Let me first start of by professing that I know next to nothing about RC. The only hands on knowledge I have is from my brother who fly's rc planes and helis.

I want something that I can enjoy and beat up. If it breaks build it back better. I have been reading that most say go with a electric to start off with. My worry however is that I will spend 4 hours charging a battery and only 10min of actually being able to drive the vehicle. Seems like a waste of half a day for 10 min of fun. Is this the ways of old rc trucks and cars and have things gotten better?

I don't need something that goes crazy fast right now (maybe down the road so upgrade ability would be nice). I also don't plan on racing it. It will mainly be driven on cut grass, dirt roads, and asphalt. I'm looking to spend no more then $300 to get going. What are my options for getting something nice, easy to learn on, and little down time waiting on batteries to charge?

thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sounds like a Traxxas Slash to me... $200 for the truck with electronics.... and you will spend another $100 or so on batteries and charger...

If you get more than one battery, you can charge one while running, then after a short rest to cool the motor... run another.

If you go brushless and LiPo then you can run back to back.

Have fun!

Jerome
Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1+ Right now the best bang for the buck. Try to slip in a good charger too.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I recently converted over to electric from nitro. I loved the smell of nitro but hated all the tuning and retuning if the weather changed.

I picked up a Slash. Love that truck! After searching eBay for a few days a deal on an Onyx 230 charger popped up for $50 ($90 charger) and then a battery and adapter for the TRX connector from CheapBatterypacks, I was on my way. Overall I have spent just over $300 on this setup. The pack I bought was a 5000mah and the runtime is great. The first charge took a little longer than expected (about 2 hours) but I wasn't charging at the recommended charge rate. This charger will charge that battery in about 1hr. I haven't depleted the pack yet but since it has been cold here (Illinois) I haven't been able to stay outside for a long period of time. I just finished chasing my 2yo around the house with it and there is still plenty of charge left.

I'm also working on bulletproofing a Mini-T for my 2yo so he can play as well. High speed runs into the wall kind of damage things...