TC3 question

Old 01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default TC3 question

I'm new to the electric R/C world. I've had a Tmaxx forever, but this is totally different. I got my TC3 about a month ago, but just tonight it decided to quit running. I did just lock the front diff yesterday, but it has ran fine for about two hours since that. Now when pull the trigger the light on the engine lights up, but nothing else happens. I was able to manually spin the tires and get the engine to run, but once I let the tires quit spinning it wouldn't do anything else. Now it won't even run when I manually spin the tires. This TC3 was used when I got it, does this just mean that my engine is done?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Dead TC3

I would check battery condition 1st and all connectors. Make sure the battery is fully charged and put the car on a stand. Check voltage at motor terminals with full throttle. If you have have a 6 cell pack you should get ~ 7.2 volts input. If you have good voltage the motor probably needs brushes or replacement. If not it may be the ESC is shot. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

The battery is charged up and all of the connections seem to be fine. The motor is getting the voltage. I can turn the pinion gear with my fingers with the throttle wide open and every now and then the motor will turn, but not many RPM's at all. Then it quits just as quick as it started. How would I determine if its the motor or esc? The esc acts as if it is working fine, as the lights on it are working as they are suppose to. The light on the motor is also working as it is suppose to.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)

Sounds like the motor needs a rebuild. Pull out the brushes and look at the commutator. If it is not copper colored you need to have someone turn it on a lathe. If the comm is still shiny, pick up some new brushes. If you can, post a close up picture of the motor and the endbell/comm and we can tell whats wrong most of the time.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Ok I think that the commutator is where the brushes make contact, Correct? Well it isn't shiny where the brushes make contact, its dull and has black lines on it. I can post a pic tomorrow if this isn't the problem, but do you think that this is the problem? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)

Yes, the commutator is where the brushes contact the rotor. If there are black lines and the comm is not smooth and shiny then I'm willing to place money that it just needs a rebuild.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Ok. Well I have a blue Banzai motor. The best I can tell, it is a 27turn motor that is rebuildable (thats what I have determined from looking at there website). I'm wondering if it would be worth rebuilding it or would it be better to just get a new motor. I have been thinking that I would like to would like to get a 19turn motor. Im not sure of what brand or anything, but what would you suggest doing?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blazerss View Post
The battery is charged up and all of the connections seem to be fine. The motor is getting the voltage. I can turn the pinion gear with my fingers with the throttle wide open and every now and then the motor will turn, but not many RPM's at all. Then it quits just as quick as it started. How would I determine if its the motor or esc? The esc acts as if it is working fine, as the lights on it are working as they are suppose to. The light on the motor is also working as it is suppose to.
Just a hint..Don't ever do that again..if you had a brush hang up or anything for that matter and the motor hits full throttle..you will get a painful lesson....yea I would have to say your motor needs a rebuild, you can check if your local hobby shop has a com cutting service..I know that a few places still offer this service..I know that Fantom use to..not sure if they still do, but before I went out and bought a 19 wind make sure your ESC can handle it..and on brands to buy..pretty much all the machine wound 19 winds are very close in performance to each other, so pick a brand that you like and go with it, when I ran 19 turn TC I would gear the 19 turn 2 to 5 teeth higher than what I ran my stock motor at..but I was racing, so I was only interested in performance for 5 minutes at a time..
Old 02-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Ok. Thanks for the input. I learned quick not to do that by the way, but I had to learn somehow I guess. I figured out that it is the brushes that need to be replaced, but I think that I just going to pick up a new motor instead of rebuilding.