Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New here with a few questions! >

New here with a few questions!

New here with a few questions!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New here with a few questions!

Hello, all. My name is Allen. I'm 21 years old. I used to drive R/C planes and trucks back in high school with my friends. I miss it and need some advise! I'm obviously behind on technology and there are some new brands around that I'm not familiar with. Based on my readings, I've came to the right place!

Basically, I'm wanting to get back into R/C cars and trucks. I've owned a Team Losi XXX-NT a few years ago. (And a few nitro/electric planes but who cares, right?) I bashed the hell out of it, replaced every part at least a hundred times, put a Dynamite .12 on it and bashed it some more.

It was so much fun. I got rid of it because I wanted a PSP...which I regret.

Okay... I'm not on the biggest budget, so I want to get something new to start with. Whether it be nitro or electric...I have no idea. Help!

I know whatever I get will be offroad. Most likely a RWD stadium truck because I like jumping things and my experience with monster trucks haven't been the best. They seem to break an a-arm every damn time you don't land decently. Too much of a hastle.

Now, based off your opinion and experience, which would you prefer? Please list pros/cons of each, if you will.

I'm looking for answers to questions similar to these:

Which one costs more to maintain?
Which type of engine last the longest?
Does a tank of nitro usually last longer than a battery?
Would you rather buy batteries and charge, drive, charge, drive...or buy gas and simply refill and go?

I know it's a bunch of n00b questionnaire, but I will greatly appreciate any positive response!

Thanks!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have raced pretty much all classes in rc and electric is the way to go especially now with lipo and brushless motors.

There are soooo many things i could suggest but it really comes down to you:
-Do you want to race?
-Is there a track near you?
-Bashing only? Dirt or pavement?

Narrow down what u want to do will make it easier to offer suggestions
Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post
I have raced pretty much all classes in rc and electric is the way to go especially now with lipo and brushless motors.

There are soooo many things i could suggest but it really comes down to you:
-Do you want to race?
-Is there a track near you?
-Bashing only? Dirt or pavement?

Narrow down what u want to do will make it easier to offer suggestions
Well, I got me a Mini T today. I traded a J3 cub parkflyer for it. It's brand new with everything BUT the charger. Can I use a regular Parkzone car charger to charge this battery?

I don't want to race as far as I know. Unless it's with friends around the yard or so. There used to be a track. I want the option to drive on any surface...bashing away!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Iam99x View Post
Well, I got me a Mini T today. I traded a J3 cub parkflyer for it. It's brand new with everything BUT the charger. Can I use a regular Parkzone car charger to charge this battery?

I don't want to race as far as I know. Unless it's with friends around the yard or so. There used to be a track. I want the option to drive on any surface...bashing away!
With a Mini T you will end up replacing almost all the parts due to breakage. Your best bet would be to start upgrading....NOW....... so you don't spend time wrenching when you could be driving. Trust me...I have learned the hard way. Good luck with the new truck.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LIVipers View Post
With a Mini T you will end up replacing almost all the parts due to breakage. Your best bet would be to start upgrading....NOW....... so you don't spend time wrenching when you could be driving. Trust me...I have learned the hard way. Good luck with the new truck.
Well, I plan to upgrade AS I break. I'm assuming aluminum parts are the way to go.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

traxxas slash is the best one for you. It can fall 25 feet sideways and not break. Plus their cheap. for $220 right from Traxxas you get a battery and a charger. Plus if you wanted to race, classes for them are popping up everywhere. Its RWD and comes RTR. Just charge the included battery and go.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rccar306109 View Post
traxxas slash is the best one for you. It can fall 25 feet sideways and not break. Plus their cheap. for $220 right from Traxxas you get a battery and a charger. Plus if you wanted to race, classes for them are popping up everywhere. Its RWD and comes RTR. Just charge the included battery and go.

Ah, I've been wondering about those. How fast are they stock?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

I decided to make a video a few minutes ago. It's with my cellphone and I had no camera man...kinda crappy.

Anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OXfe-Sv8xc

ADDED:

The guy I got my Mini-T from offered a Mini LST 2 for $130. Would you get that or the Slash?

Last edited by Iam99x; 01-27-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say Slash. And this is from someone that will not run Traxxs stuff.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by The Working Man View Post
I would say Slash. And this is from someone that will not run Traxxs stuff.
Well, now the RC18T is in the picture. How about it?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

the mini is perfect for what u just did in the vidio, round and round in circles in a open parking lot if ur on a budget and want to have some fun, anything traxxas makes would be the place to start. I'm more of a basher turned racer, and my advice would to be start with some thing like a slash ( I raced mine for 3 months now and haven't broke a single part), the say with the proper gearing and a big enuf battery they will do 60mph out of the box. stampedes are another place to look, basiclly the same dezine as the slash with some extra ground clearence. my first truck was a stampede and they will do backflipps 8 ft in the air and drive away with the stock setup.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by offtraxx View Post
the mini is perfect for what u just did in the vidio, round and round in circles in a open parking lot if ur on a budget and want to have some fun, anything traxxas makes would be the place to start. I'm more of a basher turned racer, and my advice would to be start with some thing like a slash ( I raced mine for 3 months now and haven't broke a single part), the say with the proper gearing and a big enuf battery they will do 60mph out of the box. stampedes are another place to look, basiclly the same dezine as the slash with some extra ground clearence. my first truck was a stampede and they will do backflipps 8 ft in the air and drive away with the stock setup.
Well, right now I'm waiting on the Slash to be in stock. There is a guy on a local forum who is selling his Stampede for $100!

Here is the link:
http://importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213557

How durable are the Stampedes? My experience with T-Max's weren't good. Every time you turn around something breaks. Stripped diffs, broked A-arms, etc...

I definitely want something that can take a hell of a beating because when I get ideas of doing something, I do it. Haha a few years ago I built a ramp out of a whole sheet of ply wood and jumped over my car from back to front with my XXX-NT. Good times.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

I beat the crap out of mine for 6 months, the onle thing I repaced was 1 rear arm, body, and body mounts. the mount only broke cuz I rolled it full speed down a blaktop hill with no body on it.
$100 is a bit high for a used one, u can get the new for around $170
I just looked at the add, didnt relize it was nitro. an electric is new for $170
Old 01-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by offtraxx View Post
I beat the crap out of mine for 6 months, the onle thing I repaced was 1 rear arm, body, and body mounts. the mount only broke cuz I rolled it full speed down a blaktop hill with no body on it.
$100 is a bit high for a used one, u can get the new for around $170
I just looked at the add, didnt relize it was nitro. an electric is new for $170
So, it's worth it?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

if u had nitro's in the past, I think it's worth it. but I'm not really the person to ask, I bought a nitro buggy to bash around the house, worst $700 investment I ever made

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service