Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
battery help... >

battery help...

battery help...

Old 01-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Post battery help...

i have an RC18b that's been running on the same pack for over five years now. should i switch the pack to get better performance? if so, what should i get?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Is it NiMH or LiPo? NiMH degrade in preformance over time. LiPos can last a vary long time.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revo_master
i have an RC18b that's been running on the same pack for over five years now. should i switch the pack to get better performance? if so, what should i get?
Holy crap 5 years? Did they even have Lipo's worth a damn 5 years ago?

Either way, NiCd, Nimh, or Lipo.. the answer would have to be yes. Get a Lipo (I had MaxAmps in mine) 2100 or so Mah, just make sure it fits .. and tear it up!

Good thing about smaller Lipo's is that the price between a comparable Nihm vs the Lipo is so minor it pays to go Lipo.. (as long as your charger is capable ofcourse)
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revo_master
Dude you are a god for getting 5 years out of a stock battery.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I bought a used Emaxx that came with one set of batts 2+yrs ago. When I asked the prev owner how old they were he said he also bought the Emaxx used 2yrs ago and those batts had come with it. I don't know how old they really are but they're my best batts.

I've bought 2 newer pacs (all these are 7 cells pacs), a set from Tenergy and set from Maxamps. The tenergy's are absolute junk and the Maxamps haven't been as powerful as those older 4000mah Maxamps. The old 4000 deliver about 3800 and the newer 4400s only manage 3600-3700. The tenergies (4200) are a sad joke - best they did was 3000 and went quickly downhill, wasted money!

Just cause they're old doesn't mean they're junk. If the pac is still taking a high percentage of its capacity, I'd use it. If its down and going down, its time for new. Lipo (with a voltage cutoff to protect it) will give you better run time (comparing same capacity, maybe as much as 25%) and is def worth considering. Prob there is making sure to get one that will fit.