Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
new guy with a ? >

new guy with a ?

new guy with a ?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new guy with a ?

Hello to everyone my son and I,we are new to the forum, are just strating to get into RC racing and we have a tire Question.

Is there an easy way to get your old tires of the rims for replacement with new tires.

THANKS
Shorty And Mick
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

There is a thread on this jsut recently somewhere, but I can't find it.

Basically, there are 2 main types of materials wheels are made from, plastic or nylon. The likes of AE. Losi, Proline are all nylon. Tamiya and some others are plastic.

With nylon, you can use Acetone to dissolve the glue to remove the tyre. There are a lot of ways, I prefer to soak them in about 1/2 and inch of it (one side at a time) either overnight, or for an hour or so. Use a sealed jar or similar with the wheel flat. The wheel will just pull off, most of the glue gone, the rest is gooey and can be scraped off.

The plastic wheels will melt with acetone. Obviously you don't want that. Boiling htem in water for a good 10 minutes will soften the glue and you can then pull them off. Be sure to use the wifes best cookware for this.

Some people bake them in an oven. I've never tried it as i've heard it stinks to high-heaven. Besides, cookies taste a lot better from the oven.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally, I used to do the whole "boil the tire to save the rim" thing and even the acetone trick. I don't even bother anymore, i've had too many glue beads let go in the middle of a main and make my rigs almost impossible to drive. if you are already buying new rubber I would just save yourself the grief and get new rims. It takes alot of time to "save" the old rims, I have found it took me about 2 hours to boil off a set and clean them up. I guess it could be about the same amount for the acetone if you soak 4 tires at the same time for that hour.

Hopefully between JR007 and myself you have gotten the answers you need! Feel free to ask any other Q's you might have.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This starts with baking tires off, looks like all methods get discussed -

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ng-wheels.html
Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I just buy new rims but I have taken tires off useing a heat gun, The type used to shrink the covering on R/C airplanes. However you will need to be carefull. It takes a good bit of heat for the CA. to let go. I use a glove when I do it. And no a hair dryer won't work, it's not hot enough. Like I said I just buy new rims but it's just another option for you to try if you want.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What about the losi debond anyone tried it?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
AE-Reedy

You could try debonder as this is just basically a really expensive tiny bottle of acetone.