Over Steer?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default Over Steer?

Hey guys,

I recently recieved a B44 for Christmas. I have a KO Propo EX-10 Helios Transmitter, a micro Spektrum reciever, a Futaba S3055 servo, LRP V 7.1 speed control, and a Checkpoint 12t modified motor.

I have one problem though. When I go to steer the car on the ground it's fine. When I turn the front wheels in the air though, they lock up. Does this have something to do with it being able to turn to far? Also, once I turn the wheels in the air, once i get as far as possible, the wheel becomes loose and has free movement for about 1/2 an inch.

Is this the servo? The radio settings? The wrong step-up on the car?

Has anyone else had this problem?

What should I do to solve this problem?

Did I do something wrong while building it?

Thanks for all your help in advance,

Quinn Konitzer.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

the steering lock up or the tires don't spin? You have a one-way or a spool in it?

change your end points so it can't turn so far, or turn down the % of how far the steering can go, most of the time there is a knob or button right by the trigger.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
the steering lock up or the tires don't spin? You have a one-way or a spool in it?

change your end points so it can't turn so far, or turn down the % of how far the steering can go, most of the time there is a knob or button right by the trigger.
I turned down the steering percentage a little bit but it didn't help. If I turn it down any more, I won't be able to turn
Old 01-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Tech Regular

How far down did you turn the steering end point? Youd be suprised how low you can go and still turn enough, depends on the track you run on too, if it has real smooth turns and not too twisty, you should be alright.
Otherwise. Pick up your car and go to full lock and see where youre getting stuck on and doubble check your build manual, if its all good mabe carefully see if you can shave off the offending area to stop the hang ups.

Had the same problem on my sons dto2. All fixed now.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Suspended

Sounds like you have all the steering dial into it, and the reality is that seldom is there ever need for the entire throw of the steering.
Some guys like it that way, though it often leads to problems you're experiencing, but most racers dial out a majority of their steering on their controller and have it set so they can do a complete 180-turn in one lane width of the track. It makes the car easier to drive too.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by Quinn Konitzer
Hey guys,

I recently recieved a B44 for Christmas. I have a KO Propo EX-10 Helios Transmitter, a micro Spektrum reciever, a Futaba S3055 servo, LRP V 7.1 speed control, and a Checkpoint 12t modified motor.

I have one problem though. When I go to steer the car on the ground it's fine. When I turn the front wheels in the air though, they lock up. Does this have something to do with it being able to turn to far? Also, once I turn the wheels in the air, once i get as far as possible, the wheel becomes loose and has free movement for about 1/2 an inch.

Is this the servo? The radio settings? The wrong step-up on the car?

Has anyone else had this problem?

What should I do to solve this problem?

Did I do something wrong while building it?

Thanks for all your help in advance,

Quinn Konitzer.
There are a few things that could be wrong. The first thing you will want to check is to make sure your caster blocks are on the correct way. This is easy to get wrong, they dont really look much different, but they do have a R and L labeled on them to designate which one goes where. If this is correct check to make sure your toe is set correct. You have to be careful because to much toe in and this problem with show up. You should try to run 0 to a little toe out anyways so this shouldnt be a problem if its set right.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 AM
AE-Reedy

Here is another great site for you guys to check out any issues or ask any questions about your AE cars. www.aeforums.co.uk. I am putting a link to the exact same problem that you are seeing. If you want you can read through here and see what the end conclusion was. You will see that the items that I post above are the end culprits most of the time.

http://www.aeforums.co.uk/forum/inde...opic=500&st=20
Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Mine does the same thing, I just ignore it, once you give forward throttle the wheels are forced to return...
Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Mine does the same thing, I just ignore it, once you give forward throttle the wheels are forced to return...
I don't want to ignore it because you could brake a driveshaft, or the whole front wheel off if it happens in the air.

Thanks for the advice Chad.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You generally dont have your wheels fully turned inthe air and the wheels dont stick while the wheels are rotating...from what I have noticed. I just set my EPA to the point that is safe for the servo and deal with it and its works for many months now. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Abrams, WI (Yes the same town as CJ & John Greaves)

We solved the problem. It was the caster blocks on the wrong sides.

This was Quinn's first complete build and now he knows to pay more attention to details.

Great call Chad Due. You nailed that one perfectly.

Quinn drove it last night at Dirt Heaven (Green Bay, WI) for the first time and had a blast.

Awesome car Team Associated and thanks again for all the help guys.