Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nitro virgin, need advice for break in/maintance/accessories

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? nitro virgin, need advice for break in/maintance/accessories

i'm a noob to nitro, well all "real" rc cars at that. anyways, i'm buying a revo 3.3 that has never been started/ran before. i know that you have to break the motor in, i know that you should run after run oil or something like that after you've drove it...but i dont know the details that go along with all of this. any advice on the DO's and DONT's to breaking in a motor, and how to properly maintain, clean and store a nitro truck would be greatly appreciated.

i plan on buying a rollcage for while i'm breaking it in. any other accessories to get or stay away from?

and any general advice would be great too. i want to take care of this truck properly, and i want it to last.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well i see your off to a good start that you want to take care of it and make it last

with the engine break in you want to follow the instructions that come with it and make sure you follow them to break it in proper the roll cage aint a bad idea but if your gonna race it it actually might get in the way but as for bashing thats a good extra to have but yes you want to buy some after run oil and put a couple of drops after each day of running and also after every gallon to gallon and a half you want to inspect all the bearings well at least thats what i do but its manditory that you change the clutchbell bearings but just keep it clean and try not to do anything to crazy with it and it should last you for some years to come i once had a savage that lasted 4 years of constant beating and bashing and never broke annything and i really did drive that dam thing hard but you just have to keep up on the matinence and you should be good
Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Rookie

mandatory that i change the clutchbell housing?

what do you mean by that....as part as maintenance, or something that is strongly recommended for the revo's for performance/reliability?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

not the housing just the bearings, Theres i think three in a revo clutch bell. so after a gallon you want to check and see if there all burnt and brown or blown up, thats when you need to change them.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yeah sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I hope you got the traxxas DVD with it?? Its a good place to begin to start understanding how to tune a nitro engine. Watch it before you start it and then after your 1st day, watch it again - it will mean a lot more to you then after a little experience.

TRX engines are sensitive - small changes in the needles have more impact than on some other engines. Don't make big changes with the needles - small changes to one at a time and then run it long enough to understand what changed about the way it runs.

Watch for screws coming loose - go over it with a screwdriver and make sure everything is tight. Clean air filter every hour of run time or so and more often if running in very dusty conditions. Use new zip tie to secure air cleaner everytime you remove it - this must not fall off when you're running and let dirt get sucked into engine.

Good luck and have fun!