Community
Wiki Posts
Search

another nitro starting question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default another nitro starting question

Hey ppl i just got a new lrp z12r engine and its not starting. Its not my 1st nitro engine so id like to think ive got a basic idea about them but i just cant get this thing started. Its definatly not the glow plug or the glow plug igniter because i am constantly checking them. Its obviously getting air aswell because its passing through the engine and out the exhaust but wats bothering me is that no fuel is coming out of the exhaust. It hasnt flooded once so what im really wondering is there anything besides a blocked carb that could be causing this?
And that leads me to my next question too, without a pullstart how do i deal with a flooded engine?
any help appreciated!
forgot to mention needles have been set to factory settings so its not in the tune

Last edited by muz18u; 10-04-2008 at 05:27 AM. Reason: add on
Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muz18u
Hey ppl i just got a new lrp z12r engine and its not starting. Its not my 1st nitro engine so id like to think ive got a basic idea about them but i just cant get this thing started. Its definatly not the glow plug or the glow plug igniter because i am constantly checking them. Its obviously getting air aswell because its passing through the engine and out the exhaust but wats bothering me is that no fuel is coming out of the exhaust. It hasnt flooded once so what im really wondering is there anything besides a blocked carb that could be causing this?
And that leads me to my next question too, without a pullstart how do i deal with a flooded engine?
any help appreciated!
forgot to mention needles have been set to factory settings so its not in the tune
well then im guessing your using a starter box then? in that case, just unhook the fuel lines and take out the glow plug. WHILE HOLDING A PAPERTOWEL OVER THE TOP OF THE ENGINE crank the engine.

it would be a bad idea to get nitro in your eye
Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Are you priming it at all - holding your finger over the ex stinger and watching the pressure push fuel up to the engine? If not, try priming it, all you need to do is get fuel to the carb, its easy to flood it this way so watch what you're doing, only takes a few sec of cranking to move the fuel to carb.

If you're already doing this and no fuel is getting to carb, check tank top for seal - something is leaking - ex from engine is used to pressurize tank to push fuel to carb, so inspect everything in that pressure circuit, including lines and tank.

One way to convince yourself all is good with engine - dribble just a few drops of fuel into gloplug hole,replace and try to start - that shoud cause engine to run for a sec or to telling you its ok, just a fuel prob.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the reply guys
i thought that was how to deal with a flooded engine i just wasnt 100% sure.

I am definatly primming the engine and the fuel is making it to the carby fine,
but even with my finger still held over the exhaust it still refuses to flood. The tank is brand new and looks fine to me, the rubber seal around the lid looks to be doin its job and the fuel line is brand new aswell. So ive been looking at the exhaust and just cant find anythin wrong there either.
I took your advice duster and poured a lil bit of fuel down the glow plug hole an viola she started, albiet only for a few seconds so the search continues.

Its gonna suck to have built the car from scratch just to take it down to the local hobby shop just to get it started
Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Lord

Fuel comes in thru the HSN - sounds like there's some kind of plug in the HSN right where the fuel enters. I would take that off and inspect/clean everything. Use a touch of white grease on the needle oring going back together. I hope you have access to compressed air - that would be a help in making sure the HSN assembly is not clogged. Use a little sealant where the HSN screws into teh carb.

I'd try that before taking carb apart. The fact that fuels moves and it starts (when manually primed) - a plug preventing fuel getting into carb. Since this is new and you shouldn't be having these probs - call lhs where you bought it and ask them whats up. They may work on it for just your time and trouble.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Tech Rookie

spot on duster thanks for the help, finally got it running today after weeks of frustration. not to take anything away from lrp as it is the 1st engine of theirs ive owned, but after talkn with 1 hobby shop they claimed it wasnt the 1st time theyd heard of a lrp engine having this exact problem. i hope my little dilema helps some1 get their car on the road quicker than i could.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Lord

Great news, glad you're up and running!! Have fun with it - even if its a little late in coming!!