Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Noob needs help with LiPo >

Noob needs help with LiPo

Noob needs help with LiPo

Old 09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Noob needs help with LiPo

I just picked up a Traxxas Rustler VXL and have been looking at these new LiPo batteries and chargers. I only have a weeks worth of experience with R/C so I am pretty lost. My budget for a battery and charger would be $200 at most I'd say. I don't race competitively.
I have been reading and looking and am not getting any closer to deciding which brand to get. Thanks for any help you can offer up.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMHO
Do you have a 12 volt power supply 8 amp's or more ???? There are many good chargers out now for around $100, Get a good one, you will have it a long time. get one with a balancer built into it.
Get a big lipo 5000 or more, you'll get longer run time so you can drive longer and not take your lipo down as far, that's what kills lipo's.

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 09-27-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Here's a good balancing charger that will not need power supply (AC/DC) -

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3367

Buy the best lipo you can afford, cell quality varies and affects price. Look at the Orions - they're high quality and stay pretty close to balanced. Lipo are not to be run below their minimum voltage - think your VXL esc has a low voltage cutoff, make sure you use it. If you run below the lvc you can damage or ruin a lipo. Min voltage is 3v/cell, so for a 2S lipo - that 6v. I use 6.2 as an lvc so I have a little safety margin.

Buy as big a lipo as you can too, you'll get better life and runtime from a higher capacity batt than a lower one. Ask questions so you understand the options and what you need to know to use them, take care of them and make them last.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I use a Duratrax ICE charger right now but I already had a power supply when I bought it.

Good DC Chargers:
Duratrax ICE
LRP Pulsar 3, I had a Pulsar 1 and I loved it.

Good AC/DC chargers:
Hyperion AC/DC

As far as lipo batteries go right now I am running an Orion Race Spec 3800 and I love it. Before that I used Hecell lipos from ebay and believe it or not I used them for over a year and they are still great. They were soft case though and I need a hard case to be ROAR legal. I have heard good things about the Yeah Racing lipo's and the price is great at $55 for a hard case 4000.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. After reading a ton on here I ended up picking up the ICE charger and a SMC 5000mAh 7.4v battery. So far I am totally impressed. I haven't done this much research on a product I was buying in a long time. Only problem I didn't remember or realize until after I got home was I don't have a power supply. So it's back to the LHS again.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Lord

Try to get something thats at least 12a. And remember, you can always run the Ice off a car batt.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It seems a lot of people are liking the Hyperion stuff I've had my ICE for more that 2 years, I like it but the EOS0606I looks very good to me now.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Lord

I actually have and use both the Ice and 0610iNet chargers. Either Hyperion charger is a great charger, but 0610 delivers 5x more power and thats needed when doing 5 and 6S batts.

Both Ice and either Hyperion are excellent chargers. I still run NiMHs and the Ice's cycling ability is the reason I still have and use it. My 0610i does all my lipos and a123s and when I'm going out with my EMaxx, I can charge both batts at the same time using both chargers.