Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Super Noob needs Help! >

Super Noob needs Help!

Super Noob needs Help!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Super Noob needs Help!

Hello all...new to the forums and first post because I'm in need of help/advice on a truggy I just picked up. First of all, I'm completely new to this scene...I've always seen'em around, always wanted to get one (but never did) up until now.

I just recently bought a Jammin X1 CRT used from another guy here on-island...couldn't pass up the deal at $300 for an excellent shape truggy with all of the upgrades and tools that he included.

Anyway, a friend of mine is already deep into this hobby, but is more into the drifters. He helped me get it going to try it out to make sure it ran before I took it home. We changed out all the batteries, the glowplug, etc. to make sure we'd be good to go. He got it started using the true start box (blue with chrome lid) after a few tries and that thing was off and running...omg it's fast!

I got all excited, took it home, and tried to get it started on my own, but was unsucessful. The couple of times I did get it started, it would die when I gave it gas. Then after trying a few times, it would start, but would start rev'ing really high and loud, the wheels start going, as if I was gunning it and I thought it was gonna blow up...lol Me being new and all, I'm damn scared of these kinda things. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone could give me any advice on what may be happening. I may just take it up to my friends house and have him try re-tuning it, if that's what it needs. I had planned on giving this to my 10 year old son, but I'm not too sure anymore...think this may be a lot more than what he needs. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

your engine idle/high end needle/ low end needle are all off. With nitro engines you have to tune the screws to the weather. it hard to explain over the computer. your best bet is to take it to your local hobby shop or track amd hve them sho you how to tune it.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMO your best bet is to sell the truck. You did get a deal on it, I'll tell you that much, but I NEVER would recommend a nitro to a first-timer, and especially not something like a race truggy, and ESPECIALLY not for a ten-year old. You want you and your son to have fun with R/C, and I'm telling you now this ain't gonna be it. I've been in R/C for eight years now and only got into nitro three years ago. You'll literally be spending as much time keeping the engine running as you will keeping the rest of the truck together. Trust me, unless you know what you're doing, stay away from nitro.

If the radio is decent I'd hang onto it, a good radio system can get you a big headstart in this hobby. Otherwise I'd cash out on the rest of the operation and pick up something like an electric stadium truck.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

If he's intent on keeping it and wanting to learn how to run it and maintain it minimally get the manual.

http://www.ofna.com/manuals.html

Ofna manuals do have a little troubleshooting guide at the end.

a few things come to mind:

Like Missle said a truggy is not a beginner's RC vehicle. Expect a steep learning curve. You may be the type of person who enjoys a mechanical challenge, but many people will get very frustrated and not have fun with a truggy being their first RC.

I wouldn't get the thing running and let the 10 year old RC newbie use it alone. It will go 25-40MPH and it probably weighs about 7 lbs. The 10 year could hurt someone or cause property damage.

Also, this truggy is used, which means you inherit any problems the previous owner had. Troubleshooting problems with a used product is different than troubleshooting a product new out of the box. Keep that in mind.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Hello all...new to the forums and first post because I'm in need of help/advice on a truggy I just picked up. First of all, I'm completely new to this scene...I've always seen'em around, always wanted to get one (but never did) up until now.

I just recently bought a Jammin X1 CRT used from another guy here on-island...couldn't pass up the deal at $300 for an excellent shape truggy with all of the upgrades and tools that he included.

Anyway, a friend of mine is already deep into this hobby, but is more into the drifters. He helped me get it going to try it out to make sure it ran before I took it home. We changed out all the batteries, the glowplug, etc. to make sure we'd be good to go. He got it started using the true start box (blue with chrome lid) after a few tries and that thing was off and running...omg it's fast!

I got all excited, took it home, and tried to get it started on my own, but was unsucessful. The couple of times I did get it started, it would die when I gave it gas. Then after trying a few times, it would start, but would start rev'ing really high and loud, the wheels start going, as if I was gunning it and I thought it was gonna blow up...lol Me being new and all, I'm damn scared of these kinda things. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone could give me any advice on what may be happening. I may just take it up to my friends house and have him try re-tuning it, if that's what it needs. I had planned on giving this to my 10 year old son, but I'm not too sure anymore...think this may be a lot more than what he needs. Thanks in advance!
maybe next time if you have questions,, go straight to the point...