Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
How do you know if a used nitro engine is any good? >

How do you know if a used nitro engine is any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you know if a used nitro engine is any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Questions?? How do you know if a used nitro engine is any good?

I picked up some used nitro engines in a trade a while back and being new to nitro i had to take the guys word they were good as he said they were.
One is a Serio engine and the other is an RB Concepts racing engine. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jatoattack
I picked up some used nitro engines in a trade a while back and being new to nitro i had to take the guys word they were good as he said they were.
One is a Serio engine and the other is an RB Concepts racing engine. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
I don't know if you have ever taken a nitro motor apart ,but if you have some idea on how they do. I would take them apart and check bearings for rust or dirt.when the crankcase is open remove the crack and turn the bearings with your finger ,if they feel gritty or harsh then they will need to be replaced.Check were the piston connecting rod connects to the crank for sloop in the bushing. There will be some but you don't want to much there.Check for small pitting on top of the piston and the head button.Check that there is some sort of pinch left in the piston and sleeve at top dead center (tdc) or it feels like it still has compression when the motor is together with glow plug installed.Inspect the carb for dirt ,check that the slide moves freely without catching ,wow Im running on and on there are so many things that I check . But hey i hope it helps maybee ask your local hobby shop too if you trust them.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Pull the glow plug and turn the shaft. If it pops it still got some life. If it just turns with no pinch? Its pretty much done.

A worn out motor that wont hold an idle will still some times pop if the plugs in it. Always pull the plug and or be sure to ask if its got pinch with the plug out before buying on the net.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You guys are great thanks.