Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
HELP-I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE TRUGGY RUNNING FOR 6 MO FOR MY SON. >

HELP-I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE TRUGGY RUNNING FOR 6 MO FOR MY SON.

HELP-I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE TRUGGY RUNNING FOR 6 MO FOR MY SON.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HELP-I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE TRUGGY RUNNING FOR 6 MO FOR MY SON.

Hey guys, I bought my 9 year old and my son a Kyosho RTR Truggy and have learned alot regarding the parts. My son is coming this weekend and everything is working fine. EXCEPT I can't keep it from running hot.

It's 76 degrees here in Dallas and I just got all new servo's and the car tuned. I get it home it starts right up and I run it down the ally slow 4 or 5 times and bring it in and its temp. is already 217. So I TRY to tune it which is my biggest problem and trying it again. The next time it's up to 271.

I don't know what to do, I want my son to be able to run the damn thing without killing the engine.

Can somebody please explain how I can resolve thie MASSIVE PAIN.

Thanks as always.

Brian
Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you can run at 271, but watch it doesn't go much further. just under 300 is the point where it starts to die, but for some reason the manufacturers put some stupid leeway in the manuals and say you can't go further than 250 or whatever.

of course, the best way to tune is by performance and smoke. when the engine is running best with a small amount of smoke at WOT then theres not much danger of it overheating.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I also tune for performance and smoke and when first started doing this i would check it with a temp gun and my motors would be between 270f-300f and i haven't noticed any less life.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

I always had my motors running hot ( 220 - 270 ), and the advice i got was,
Tune to performance not temp. Sure temp is importent but as long as youve got good smoke and the motor sounds good it should be ok.
Best advice is to run a little rich and keep an eye on it.
Oh, and have a blast!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

I am aware that this is not the answer you are looking for, and many will criticize me and/or disagree, fine. But the answer in my opinion is a brushless electric conversion (with lipo batteries naturally). Let you son keep his hearing and enjoy his always too short time with you playing with the truck, instead of learning your frustration and possibly expanded vocabularity.

Or if that doesn't work, find somebody local, oh say at your local hobby shop, to help out. I don't suspect tuning by internet is going to be very satisfying, despite the good intentions and excellent experience available. And be aware that the tuning may well need constant adjusting as temperature and humidity changes and such.

Good luck from a fellow father Team Manager!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

dave is right you might want to start him out with electric

BUT i love nitro and have never driven an actual electric race car (tycos and stuff i learned on) i choose to stay abstinent from electric

dave it wont affect the kids hearing, but its easier to start him out on something that he wont allways have to tune and mess with

you always have to fine tune when the air temp changes
Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well it certainly won't hurt his hearing if he can't keep it running! Sorry cheapo shot. Don't get me wrong, I love combustion engines, I can still list the bore and stroke and stuff of every GM V8 from back in the day, and have rebuilt and greatly strengthened many a bike engine in my time. Just don't understand the frustration that seemingly almost everybody endures with glow plug engines.

You may not have driven an electric yet, but I suspect we all will before long. I have driven a prototype GM Impact with less current limiting than what they ended up producing, it was a blast, great punch of the line. But the odd noises ya could hear was erie. And is it the Telsa I believe that is building a Lotus knock off that goes like stink?

Sorry for hijacking. Cheers to all, gasaholics and flashlight guys and gals all, it's all better than work!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

1st you tune the high end. Run the truck up and down the street a few times & if it is coming back too hot then turn the high end screw 1/12th a turn counter clockwise. Now run it up & down the street a few more times. If it is still too hot then do it again. If it is running to cold then turn it the other way. Once that is set you need to tune the low end. To tune the low end blip the throtle & wait. A properly tuned low end will idle for 7-10 seconds & die. If it runs for less time then lean it out(make sure idle screw is set right too). To set the idle screw you want to make sure the carb is open enough to get the truck idling when the truck is suposed to be idling. If it runs for longer then richen it up.
rich is counter clockwise & lean is clockwise.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
I am aware that this is not the answer you are looking for, and many will criticize me and/or disagree, fine. But the answer in my opinion is a brushless electric conversion (with lipo batteries naturally). Let you son keep his hearing and enjoy his always too short time with you playing with the truck, instead of learning your frustration and possibly expanded vocabularity.

Or if that doesn't work, find somebody local, oh say at your local hobby shop, to help out. I don't suspect tuning by internet is going to be very satisfying, despite the good intentions and excellent experience available. And be aware that the tuning may well need constant adjusting as temperature and humidity changes and such.

Good luck from a fellow father Team Manager!
i would not go lipo but dave's right go elec. plug and play baby its the easy button charge/plug/run i tryed nitro for me and my son and know way hes 7 and i hand him a batt. and he plugs and goes with no headach for me i don't know much about lipo but i see peaple covering there lipo batt. with lead covers when charging because they are unstable so in the words of alice in chains i stay away