Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help a beginner? >

Help a beginner?

Help a beginner?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Help a beginner?

Ok, I am a 13 year old who has had a Cyclone S RTR for about 3 months (from Christmas). I am completely new to this hobby and have just been browsing this forum for tips. So far, I have messed around with it in my neighborhood and school, and gotten somewhat bored from the stock setup. I was curious as to what I should upgrade first. Anyone know if they can help me out? Thanks in advance! This is an unbelievably addicting hobby.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

brushless is prolly the best upgrade you can get for what youre using it for atm.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home View Post
brushless is prolly the best upgrade you can get for what youre using it for atm.
i agree!!! that or you can get a bigger motor better battery
Old 03-11-2008, 04:56 AM
Tech Regular

Cyclone S, excellent car and good hopups. 1st is better batterys and good charger. You'll be amazed at the improvement, even without extra bling. Next is the motor, then probably suspension and tyers
whatever you do, have fun doing it!!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

racing just go, even with the stock setup, and you'll have fun. then just make it round the track without crashing, and gear up a few teeth on the pinion every meeting.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Brushless system and lipo batteries.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, thanks for all the tips ! I think I'll go with bobbitrc's advice and upgrade the battery and charger. I was thinking the 6000 HV 2S2P Li-po pack and the Hyperion Eos6i AC/DC Charger, then some brushless 10.5 turn motor and esc combo. What do you guys think (about the motor combo and battery)?

Last edited by Monomantis; 03-12-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Monomantis View Post
Well, thanks for all the tips ! I think I'll go with bobbitrc's advice and upgrade the battery and charger. I was thinking the 6000 HV 2S2P Li-po pack and the Hyperion Eos6i AC/DC Charger, then some brushless 10.5 turn motor and esc combo. What do you guys think (about the motor combo and battery)?
Sounds like a pretty good idea. The 10.5 is a healthy increase from the stock motor, but not as crazy as some who insist on going with the fastest thing around right away. Be sure to do some research on proper lipo care. No big deal once ya know, but a few basic rules are important. Plenty of info on this site already. PM me if ya like. Combined with brushless efficiency your runtime will go way up with a nice lipo. Consider getting the hard skin option on the maxamps, or a hard case like Orion or TrakPower, lipos don't like being damaged.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks about that advice, Dave. I'll definitely upgrade the protective skin on the li-po battery. Now, are there any recommendations for a 10.5 brushless motor/esc combo? I want to run 10.5 because most of the people that run at the shop where I got my car run 19 turn and 27 turn stock, but they allow brushless and li-po.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmm.

Looks like I'll have to buy the SS-Pro 10.5 with the GTB because the EX Motors don't work with Li-po (or at least according to the Motor Comparison Chart).

Anyone know of a good steering servo? Mine is pretty messed up. The servo jerks left and right at random occasionally, when I drive it around.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm.

Looks like I'll have to buy the SS-Pro 10.5 with the GTB because the EX Motors don't work with Li-po (or at least according to the Motor Comparison Chart).

Anyone know of a good steering servo? Mine is pretty messed up. The servo jerks left and right at random occasionally, when I drive it around.

try to look for one with metal gears so it wont strip out on you if you crash
Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yeah brushless is the best way to go
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hmm.

the 10.5 is a great choice from the two people that i've heard from that told me so. the gtx is nice because you can brushless drive or if you ever wanted to race in stock, the same esc will work for it too!

LOOK AT THESE FOLLOWING SERVOS, PICK YOU FAVORITE.
http://www.jrradios.com/Search/Defau...gital_standard
Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

JR servos are a fine choice, but their surface ones, not their air ones, would be an even better choice. Try the Servo Guide from their home page, gives several recommendations at various price/performance levels per type of vehicle. Or fly toy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service