Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
First Car: 1/18T, 1/12 carpet, 1/10 on-road? >

First Car: 1/18T, 1/12 carpet, 1/10 on-road?

First Car: 1/18T, 1/12 carpet, 1/10 on-road?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First Car: 1/18T, 1/12 carpet, 1/10 on-road?

I'm getting back into the RC hobby after years of no exposure (my last car was the classic gold aluminum RC10). At any rate, I've got a friend who races on-road 1/10 and it's got me to thinking:

Should I buy a 1/18 RTR truck, race it in the back yard and lower it occasionally for various racing locally...I'm thinking either the Duratrax Vendetta or maybe an Associated truck...or the Kyosho Mini Inferno truck

or

Should I buy a 1/12 carpet/on-road? These look like cult favorites and fun to race...any thoughts on the CRC Carpet Knife vs. the Associated or the Hot Bodies?

or

Should I buy a 1/10 carpet/on-road car for pure racing madness? Thoughts on Associated vs. Losi? Are there HPI/Hot Bodies, Kyosho's or Tamaya's worth considering?

Ideally I'll be buying a car that I can put together (so as to better learn the in's and out's of the particular car I get) as well as a car I'll grow into. I'd love to race locally more than anything so, I'm wondering, does anyone race 1/12 or 1/18 or is it all 1/10 and bigger these days?

Any and all unsolicited advice is encouraged and appreciated!

Last edited by zm32; 03-04-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: include more questions
Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

1/10 on-road. You will have fun with ae tc5. a lot of tracks race 1/10 on-road.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am just getting back into the RC scene too. I also had the old school original RC10.

Right after Christmas I bought the Associated MGT 8.0. But the weather is so cold her in Northern IL that I couldn't drive it. So I bought a couple Associated 1/18th scale trucks to drive in the basement to practice my skills with. Well, that got kind of old after about a month.

So I dove into the 1/10th scale carpet cars wtih a TC5. I love it, I was never much of a carpet guy before. I have to admit I thought it was going to be really boring, but there is a ton of stuff to learn and it will take quite awhile before I will get bored with touring cars.

The only bad thing about the carpet stuff is that the places to drive them are limited. I really don't want to take mine out on the asphalt. The MGT will be great because you can pretty much drive it anywhere (if the weather cooperates).

Good luck, I am sure you will find something that will interest you.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Rookie

What about the Losi XXX-S or the X-Ray 1/10 scale?

Originally Posted by devin4444 View Post
1/10 on-road. You will have fun with ae tc5. a lot of tracks race 1/10 on-road.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cutjo3 View Post
I am just getting back into the RC scene too. I also had the old school original RC10.

Right after Christmas I bought the Associated MGT 8.0. But the weather is so cold her in Northern IL that I couldn't drive it. So I bought a couple Associated 1/18th scale trucks to drive in the basement to practice my skills with. Well, that got kind of old after about a month.

So I dove into the 1/10th scale carpet cars wtih a TC5. I love it, I was never much of a carpet guy before. I have to admit I thought it was going to be really boring, but there is a ton of stuff to learn and it will take quite awhile before I will get bored with touring cars.

The only bad thing about the carpet stuff is that the places to drive them are limited. I really don't want to take mine out on the asphalt. The MGT will be great because you can pretty much drive it anywhere (if the weather cooperates).

Good luck, I am sure you will find something that will interest you.
Thanks for the info. This is helpful. I have to admit, right now I'm really torn between the 1/10 touring, 1/12 pan and the 1/18 truck racers. I also think the 1/18 trucks would be fun because you can wreck them outside then switch up the shocks, tires, etc. and race them on carpet indoors when the weather gets bad.

For the 1/10 I'm thinking Losi XXX-S but maybe Associated...
For 1/12 maybe CRC Carpet Knife or maybe even Darkside or Associated...
For 1/18 both Associated and X-Ray look great with Duratrax slightly behind these...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

I Forgot about xray
Old 03-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Some things to consider might be the availability of parts and the cost of the parts. In my particular area Associated parts are easier to find, but this varies depending on where you are at.

Nothing worse than not being able to find parts locally and having to order parts off the internet when you are ready to go driving.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Go to the track(s) you'll be racing at and see what classes they run. Buy the vehicle that is raced alot. If those tracks have a nice amount of 1/12th scales it would be a good class.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Thank all you guys. This is great to get your opinions. I'm going to go check out another forum members near brand new Losi XXX-S Friday morning (a roller for $150?) and I'm already thinking about whether to make my second purchase a 1/12 pan or a 1/18T. Maybe both in the long run but, for now, I'll want to just focus on two. I like the idea of having an on-roader with a small but fun 1/18 dirt racer for backyards, etc.
Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by zm32 View Post
Thank all you guys. This is great to get your opinions. I'm going to go check out another forum members near brand new Losi XXX-S Friday morning (a roller for $150?) and I'm already thinking about whether to make my second purchase a 1/12 pan or a 1/18T. Maybe both in the long run but, for now, I'll want to just focus on two. I like the idea of having an on-roader with a small but fun 1/18 dirt racer for backyards, etc.
Thanks again.
I have a corally RDX roller with extras for 150.00 set up for rubber/carpet. If you are interested let me know. I think I would definetly buy something that is easy to get set-up info on and check for parts availability. Which Ive found that all true with Corally.