Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Droop, limiters, shock length,etc. >

Droop, limiters, shock length,etc.

Droop, limiters, shock length,etc.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Droop, limiters, shock length,etc.

Laterly I've been trying to understand how these components interact and what is critical. I've got an 8ight RTR and here is how I understand it so far. Please straighten me out if anything is wacked.

Droop refers to how far the wheels droop below the chassis when the car is suspend in air and can be adjusted with a set screw on each arm. The screw rests against the top of the chassis so if I want more droop I back the screw out, letting the arm "droop" lower. Right? More droop can help soften landings if I'm bottoming out (oil wt & driving affects this too) because the shock will have longer travel, ie more fluid to dampen the landing. The down side of more droop is roll? more travel mean the chassis can roll more in corners right?

So....to measure droop I should measure between the center of the shock tower screw to the center of the a-arm hole without the shocks mounted?
Then when I build the shocks, the length should be at least the droop length if not a little longer (so the shock doesn't bottom out before the droop screw hits the chassis)?
I've read about putting an 'o' ring under the shock piston, but are they really needed if the droop screws and shock length are set as I described? Are they an improvized droop limiter?

One last question. Since there is no hard stop when the shock is fully compressed, is this what causes broken shock caps, ruptured bladders & snapped shock posts?

Sorry for the long post..just trying to get it straight in my head.