Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Ball Stud Breakage >

Ball Stud Breakage

Ball Stud Breakage

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default Ball Stud Breakage

So out at the track I sheared an inner ball stud for the rear camber link on my 1/10 electric stadium truck. I'm surprised the camber link didn't just pop-off. Possible contributing factors:

- The landing that broke it didn't seem too bad...though it did land on the apex of the following jump so the downward energy was taken by the chassis but the forward energy must have been taken by the tires and rear suspension.
- Earlier landing off larger jumps were horrible tail-enders…maybe those weakened the ball stud.
- I have aluminum rear hub carriers.
- I had just upgraded to titanium turnbuckles with fresh ball ends.

Now the nice thing is that I was able to get back running really quickly…I found my dogbone on the track, and I just put another ball stud into the second position (had a qual heat coming up so didn't have time to take the car apart to extract the threaded end of the ball stud that was still in the truck) and readjusted my turnbuckle.

So, would I have been better off without the hub carrier and turnbuckle upgrades since the original ones may have absorbed energy…or is it more likely that I may be discussing a broken plastic carrier or bent turnbuckle at this point instead, which actually would have ended my day very early on the track?

Is the ball stud a fairly common point of failure? Is it typical bust a ball stud without breaking anything else? Should I run out and get titanium ballstuds now as my next upgrade, or is it smarter to keep running these maybe as a potential failsafe to breaking plastic?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Usually when u break inner ball studs its cause the way ur landing vehicle off jumps etc. Put a 0.030 washer underneath the ball stud. Also try running the longest ball studs u can this will also reduce the limit of breakage.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

lundsford makes some strong ball studs also
Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

The ball stud originally had two small plastic washers underneath it. I lost both of those but stole one from the other side, and added a small metal one (my aluminum rear hub carriers came with some extras) to each side as well (above the plastic washer).

Yesterday a fist-sized cobblestone on the edge of the track attacked my car (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). The front of the rear suspension arm took a pretty square hit on the stone…the same side I had the problem with the ball stud.

This time the turnbuckle popped off the inner ball stud. So it was almost a problem that the area is littered with fairly straight broken twings that are similar in length and color as the dogbone (note to self to order some spare dogbones tonight and maybe paint these some obnoxiously flourescent color). However after sticking myself with a jumping chollas I found the dogbone and was back off running. So the ball stud held firm in the same hole the previous one had broken in even thought there may have been a little bit of stripping.