R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default What mAh Lipo do you have/recomend

I am curious about the capacity of lipo vs. nimh. And what you guys use.

Do you get the same running time etc. out of a 4200mah lipo as you would a 4200mah nimh?

Since ROAR is allowing Lipo what mah lipo would you recommend for me to purchase? That I would be able to run a 3.5 novak brushless and race for 6minutes?

I don't currently run 3.5 but if and when I decide to do so, I don't want to have to upgrade my lipo. With 3 qual. rounds and a main race, how many lipos at what mah would you suggest I get?
mpb47553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goodtunes1978 Send a message via MSN to goodtunes1978 Send a message via Yahoo to goodtunes1978

you will get more run time from a lipo than anyother of comprable capacity

i personally run a orion 4800 cause of the case they had before anyone else i am going to try a few maxamps to see how they do this year

but as of now i am running mod 3.5 touring and a orion 4800 and will last the whole race and then some and i just keep one in each car never taking them out i just charge at 1 c between races and i am ready for the next we have so many classes we can do that but if you have few classes then i would get 2 and charge 1 while using the other just my opinion

i use 3200s in my stock classes and are 5 min races i barely take out 1800 in stadum and maybe 1500 in oval stock which is our own race class for our club 21.5 with lipo

but the max amps packs are looking very promising to me so i am going to try a few this year ahhahah hope i helped a lil
goodtunes1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default lighter

actually,, Lipo Batteries are lighter compare to Ni-Mh,, thats why they run longer than Ni-Mh...

it is like you and your friend are running in an identical car, the other one is full of passenger and the other one is only the driver,, now,, which one do you think will reach farther?? Absolutely, the car with full passenger consumes more gasoline,, and the car without passenger consumes less gasoline,, so the car without passenger run more farther even though they have the same amount of gasoline in the gas tank...

So therefore,, Lipos gives much runtime... some thinks Lipos are more powerful compare to Ni-Mh,, thats wrong!!

If Lipo and Ni-Mh have the same amount of "mah".. absolutely, they have the same power... THE BOTTOMLINE IS.. LIPOS ARE LIGHTER
deore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deore View Post
actually,, Lipo Batteries are lighter compare to Ni-Mh,, thats why they run longer than Ni-Mh...

it is like you and your friend are running in an identical car, the other one is full of passenger and the other one is only the driver,, now,, which one do you think will reach farther?? Absolutely, the car with full passenger consumes more gasoline,, and the car without passenger consumes less gasoline,, so the car without passenger run more farther even though they have the same amount of gasoline in the gas tank...

So therefore,, Lipos gives much runtime... some thinks Lipos are more powerful compare to Ni-Mh,, thats wrong!!

If Lipo and Ni-Mh have the same amount of "mah".. absolutely, they have the same power... THE BOTTOMLINE IS.. LIPOS ARE LIGHTER
no, even if you add weight you get a longer runtime. with ni-mh's the capacity is TOTAL capacity, but you can only use 3500 or so with a 4500 pack, as below that the car is too slow. with lipo's the total capacity is all useable because of the flat discharge curve.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

You will get twice the run time from a lipo than a Nimh even if they both are the same mah.
I would say that the 4200 lipo your talking about would be MORE than enough to run the 3.5 for 6 min race. You can probly get about 12 to 20 mins out of it.
I'm running TC and run the MaxAmps 2s 5000mah and 2s 6000mah and love them.
MaxAmps makes great batts and they make them when you order them so they havent been in a hobby shop for the last 6 or 8 months just sitting there getting old.
LOSI BOY-MF2 is offline   Reply With Quote