Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
B4: Kit vs RTR, Questions. >

B4: Kit vs RTR, Questions.

B4: Kit vs RTR, Questions.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default B4: Kit vs RTR, Questions.

Alright, so I'm looking to get back into r/c after ~10 years and need some help. As per the topic, I'm looking at getting a B4. Now, the decision I'm facing is probably a pretty common one, whether to get the Kit or RTR version.

Basically the decision is this, buy the kit and over the next month or so fill it out with extras/electronics, or get an rtr and upgrade it over a longer period of time. I understand I'll end up spending more money on the RTR but that doesn't really matter since it will be spent "over-time" either way.

There is a couple things I would like to know. Would it be relatively safe to drive the buggy on wet pavement/packed snow? Or would I be waiting a couple months to really drive it anyway? If so I might as well just buy the kit and how the car is put together. If it is relatively safe I'll probably just get the rtr. Anyway, I'll put down what I'd be getting either way in case someone has any advice on this too.

Starting with the RTR:

Associated B4 RS
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGM6&P=0
Batts:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUH3&P=0
Charger:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUF43&P=0

Now if I went the kit option:

Associated B4 Team Buggy kit:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAX9&P=0

Novak XBR sport/EX 10.5 Brushless
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRST7&P=0

Batts:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSNE0&P=0

Charger:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUF43&P=0

Radio:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAG2**&P=0

Servos:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDTB3&P=0

If I went with the RTR I'd be upgrading to most of those components, if not better, eventually. I'm figuring going with the RTR first and getting comfortable with driving/maintenance would probably be my best bet for starting out. Anyway, any help/advice is appreciated.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

If your not worried about the money you can get the rtr but I'd go with the kit. Also I would NOT run this on a wet street or snow, water and electronics DO NOT go well together not to mention the problems youd have with bearings and everything else.
In the kit you get alot better car and upgrades.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I know electronics and water don't mix xD Just wasn't sure how well everything is sealed up inside.

My other concern was how well I'd be able to handle the car with the brushless motor and etc. in the non-rtr set up. Then again I'll probably be mostly running in an open parking lot/park setting so curbs and such wouldn't really be a problem.

Edit: Would the second set-up be race-worthy in a local setting?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Alright, I have a few more questions too if someone would be so kind as to answer. I've decided to go with the kit and was wondering how "difficult" it is to build. Note that I have Zero experience putting r/c cars together. Also, what chassis parts upgrades I should get right away, and what the more commonly breaking parts I should buy as spares.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default b

Hey, congratulations on the choice of buggy...if you are mechanically inclined, building the kit should not be too tough...I would consider having the hobby shop help with the trans(diff/slipper)..., as for spare parts..see about ordering an RPM mimi front bumper and get a bulkhead or two for the front...
Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BelialX13 View Post
Alright, I have a few more questions too if someone would be so kind as to answer. I've decided to go with the kit and was wondering how "difficult" it is to build. Note that I have Zero experience putting r/c cars together. Also, what chassis parts upgrades I should get right away, and what the more commonly breaking parts I should buy as spares.

Thanks in advance.
building kits is easy. it gives you something to do while the pack charges its like a giant airfix model, only simpler to put together (and less messy). chassis upgrades aren't usually a good idea, sicne they just move the breakpoints on the parts to other places. whats easier to replace, a suspension arm or a mounting?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, well the reason I come here to learn all this is that there isn't a local hobby shop for... about an hour and a half driving >.> Kinda strange when I live in a city of 50,000 plus. So doing the slipper/diff is going to be... interesting then.

As far as the parts upgrades, I've seen a lot of people recomending MIP CVD's for B4 owners so I went ahead and ordered a set along with my car.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
Hey, congratulations on the choice of buggy...if you are mechanically inclined, building the kit should not be too tough...I would consider having the hobby shop help with the trans(diff/slipper)..., as for spare parts..see about ordering an RPM mimi front bumper and get a bulkhead or two for the front...
I agree with trdsupra on the parts and mabey get a set of front and rear A-arms.
This set up will be good for racing, if it's too fast you can dial out some of the speed with the radio.
I think you'll be more happy going this route, and will have a better car.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BelialX13 View Post
Yeah, well the reason I come here to learn all this is that there isn't a local hobby shop for... about an hour and a half driving >.> Kinda strange when I live in a city of 50,000 plus. So doing the slipper/diff is going to be... interesting then.

As far as the parts upgrades, I've seen a lot of people recomending MIP CVD's for B4 owners so I went ahead and ordered a set along with my car.
The diff wont be that bad just take your time and follow the instructions very closly, and you'll be ok.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the help so far everyone. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I think about this more xD
Old 01-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

IMO, buy the kit version. You will spend less money in the long run if you just buy the good stuff from the start. If you have the $$ up front, this is the way to go.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by LOSI BOY-MF2 View Post
The diff wont be that bad just take your time and follow the instructions very closly, and you'll be ok.
He is right,diffs and slippers aren't that difficult.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good choice on the kit. What I found was that if you get the kit and build it yourself, then if something breaks you know exactly what you need to take off or do to replace the part. So many times at the track a new guy or gal, would come up to one of use and ask what they need to do to replace an arm on their buggy or truck. They don't know what to do because they got it RTR.

In my opinion Team Associated diff and tranny are alot easier to put together than a Losi.

A little bit of advice, Take your time!!! and before you open packages, put a towel down on your work area so you don't have the little diff balls running everywhere.

and to make it easier, open one bag at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

imagine a balance scale where you have the rtr on one lift and the kit on the other lift.
.the rtr will fall down the lift because it's worse, uses plastic, and wieghs more (thats why it fell down lol)
.kit gets to customize it, weighs less (thats why it went up the lift lol)
Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Buy kit, it is fun making your buggy

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service