Wiki Posts
Search

New to R/c World

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default New to R/c World

Hey,
I'm looking for a durable truck for a beginner. I've never owned a nitro rc car or electric before, only little cars ran by AA's. Im looking for something that is affordable (in case im not too interested and i get bored with it) durable, enough to go on golf course grass or take a hit or two. and also be able to have some zip to it. I was going to buy the associated 18mt but its a 10 hour charge. I couldnt find a compatible charger because i dont know what all these MAh and numbers and stuff mean. If anyone could help me find a good, somewaht fast and durable truck/buggy itd be awesome! I dont know whether electric or gas is right for me. Id rather have gas so i can use it as i Please. THanks

-Parker

maybe this is good? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ0474** the tamiya rising storm, i just want something that i can play with whenever and dont have to wait 8+ hours

Last edited by parkerexx; 01-09-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: i forgot something
Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

A 1/10 scale stadium truck (ST) or monster truck would be more capable, especially if you have the room to run it around. Generally speaking, stadium truck (2WD) if you are more interested in speed and handling at the expense of ground clearance. Monster truck (4WD, though there are some 2WD options) if you plan on scrabling up and over stuff. You can still make a monster truck fast if you spend more money on it, but it will still lack in maneuverability at higher speeds, but it will be able to go places the ST may have a tough time tackling. An ST will be less expensive and less complicated than a 4WD, so it could be a good way to get into the hobby especially if you're interested in racing. However if you don't really have a buddy to race or track to race at or the room to speed around at top speed than a monster truck may be a better investment.

It's probably also better to start with a truck since they will be more durable. The shell offers more protection for things like shocks and shock towers which are exposed on a buggy.

1/18 scale don't have much ground clearance and can really only run well on-road or on a dirt surface without a lot of debris. The mini/micro scales are great if you don't have a lot of space available to run.

I seriously jumped into the hobby with a 1/10 ST (well actually I dabbled with a mini scale first but that was just a kind of an experiment…of course I'm hopping-up those things now too because this hobby is addictive like crack), but I'm more focused on racing it around. Now of course I'm hooked and want a 4WD to do other kinds of driving and bashing…but I wouldn't give up my ST to get a monster.

A lot of RTRs don't come with batteries and a charger so most likely you will need to get those separate. Don't bother with NiCd batteries. Get NiMH. A 1/10 electric truck buggy will typically use a 7.2 Volt 6 cell battery pack. Some Monster Trucks will actually require a pair of those battery packs to run. As for battery capacity, you can get an economy 3000 mAH pack for about $25-$30. You'll get about 10 minute run time on something like that out of your typical Ready-to-Run 1/10 scale off road car. A pack with greater capacity like 4200 mAH will cost more but will will have more run time. You will spend at least $30-$50 for a fast peak charger for NiMH batteries. It helps tha have a charger that lets you select the Amps. If you can set your charger at 3 amps, it will take about 1 hour to charge a 3000 mAH battery (it will take about 2 hours to charge that 3000 mAH battery at 1.5 amp setting. Get the picture?). In any case, it is nice to have a charger that can charge any of your batteries in about 1 hour.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

alright. i think i'd be into the st, something that is somewhat fast, good handling but can go on grass correct? IF you have the time could you try to find something suitable for me. Im hoping to be driving it mostly on golfcourse shortcut grass and golf cart paths. I would like to be able to do somesmall jumps but if that is a tottaly different car then forget it. I dont know much about this at all so if you could give me some links regarding compatible chargers/batteries thatd be awesome! and of course the car :P
Old 01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Traxxas has some good stuff to beat around with and can always be upgraded w/ bigger more powerful battery. You can check out all their stuff at www.towerhobbies.com
Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

got nothing against Nitro or gas powered stuff cuz I think they are cool but electric stuff is easier to maintain and goes just as fast (if not faster) than some gas powered stuff. If you go gas, be prepared to buy glow plugs, fuel, after run oil , filters, etc. Anything you buy is going to have the first initial shock of price ie:batt, charger, car/truck but whatever you get it will be fun!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I think you should stick with the 1/10 scale stadium truck for what you're wanting. The traxxas rustler or duratrax evader either one would work. Now if you decide you want to race you'll probly want to upgrade trucks but for just out bashing around these work great.

Batts. If you want more run time and less time on the charger look into Lipo batts. they cost a little more but its better than buying 3 or 4 nimh batts and still getting the same run time as 1 lipo.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

this is the duratrax
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...ax/dtxd20.html
and this is the traxxas
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXNJH9**
both of them seem good to me, but what do i kknow. can anyone get me a link to the best charger and battery for this. like for quick charge time and long run time
Old 01-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Hey Losi Boy: Great minds think alike-
Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bowl806
Hey Losi Boy: Great minds think alike-
Yep
Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

I really want to order one by tonite
Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

I really want to order one by tonite
Old 01-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

start sniffing out those sites and sniff around the pages; i am sure you will find something you like.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by parkerexx
this is the duratrax
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...ax/dtxd20.html
and this is the traxxas
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXNJH9**
both of them seem good to me, but what do i kknow. can anyone get me a link to the best charger and battery for this. like for quick charge time and long run time
That depends if you want to go lipo or not. If you do go to Maxamps.com they have some batt and charger combo's.

The original cost will be a little more but if you go NIMH and buy 2 batts it'll be about the same. The lipo's will give you longer run times buy far. Lets say you buy a NIMH 3600 for $45 youll get about 15 mins of run time so you buy 2 so you can keep running. Now youve spent $90. 1 lipo 2s 5000MAH will cost about $90 and run for about 30 to 40 mins. and when your done you can just recharge it with the others you have to give them about 30 mins to an hour to cool off before you start to recharge.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

parkerxx you have pm.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm quite, lack for a better word, bad at finding out these batteries. I couldn't find anything having to do with that battery/charger on that site. Im sorry your dealing with an idiot but is there anyway you could give me a link?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.