Wiki Posts
Search

100% new with no clue

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 100% new with no clue

i'm looking into getting an electric stadium truck as my very first R/C. i've never owned an R/C before so i am a real newb. i'm not real interested in racing yet but maybe someday. i've read so much over the last week that my head hurts. so now i'm looking for ideas from some experienced R/Cers on which truck to start with that isn't too expensive and has a bunch of upgrades. i don't want to spend $3 to $400 on a truck i'm gonna be bored with in a month or two. so far i've looked at the hpi efirestorm, the traxxas rustler, the duratrax evader ext., or the associated t4 at the top end of my budget.
so if you all would help me decide where to spend my money i'd be more than grateful
thanks in advance

troy
Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)

what is your "budget"?
are you wanting a new or used truck?
If you plan on buying new your going to spend about $300+ after buying a rtr truck,battery pack(s) and a decent charger.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tssievert
i'm looking into getting an electric stadium truck as my very first R/C. i've never owned an R/C before so i am a real newb. i'm not real interested in racing yet but maybe someday. i've read so much over the last week that my head hurts. so now i'm looking for ideas from some experienced R/Cers on which truck to start with that isn't too expensive and has a bunch of upgrades. i don't want to spend $3 to $400 on a truck i'm gonna be bored with in a month or two. so far i've looked at the hpi efirestorm, the traxxas rustler, the duratrax evader ext., or the associated t4 at the top end of my budget.
so if you all would help me decide where to spend my money i'd be more than grateful
thanks in advance

troy

If you can afford the T4 you should go with that it's twice the truck of the others and has alot more upgrages. Or look at the brushless Losi RTR XXXT MF2 it wil require ALOT less maintenance and will be considerable cheeper in the long run these are probly the best beginner truck out there, they are also VERY tough.

Last edited by LOSI BOY-MF2; 12-31-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSI BOY-MF2
If you can afford the T4 you should go with that it's twice the truck of the others and has alot more upgrages. Or look at the brushless Losi xxxt mf2 it wil require ALOT less maintenance and will be considerable cheeper in the long run these are probly the best beginner truck out there, they are also VERY tough.
Go with the T4 buddy, you will regret anything else...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Go with the T4 buddy, you will regret anything else...
I can see by your signature you like associated but for a newby the Losi RTR brushless is a better deal weather you like losi or not.

Just in case you dont know Losi and Associated are the top 2 offroad brand for 10th scale trucks and normally if you like one you hate the other, I happen to like them both but think the losi brushlees is a better beginner truck

Last edited by LOSI BOY-MF2; 12-31-2007 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i would steer u more towards the AE T4 RTR if ur just getting into RC.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default b

Nothing against Losi but he only had the three trucks on his list there. I am a fan of either as long as his LHS stocks parts parts for his choice.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Nothing against Losi but he only had the three trucks on his list there. I am a fan of either as long as his LHS stocks parts parts for his choice.
And if those 3 are the only choice then the T4 is by far the way to go. As I said in my first post the t4 is a great truck, I just think if the availabity of parts for the losi is there the brushless set up would be a better choice so he doesnt have to worrie and the constant motor maintenance.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ah fresh meat!!

#1 thing you did correctly so far, was to ask before buying! good move, second good thing u have done is looked at electric first....

My recomendation is to get a KIT build it from the ground up, if you do this you will grow to appreciate the kit you have bought alot more then the plug and play RTR trucks. By building you will get better out of the box parts and learn alot as you go along. IF building a KIT is of no intrest to you at all. I can guarantee you will likely get bored withing a month with a RTR anyway...

Check your local hobby shop out and see if there is racing, i personally have zero intrest in my fleet of rc cars, unless im going to a track. to each his own but racing will give you a lifetime of enjoyment and challenges.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Rookie

please tell me if i'm stupid or in way over my head. i found what i believe to be a great deal on a Traxxas SPORTMAXX nitro. i know i should start with electric but its all there and ready to go in my price range, with a lot of extras and hop ups. i know its a little much. what do you guys do to maintain a nitro truck. please tell me all i need to know about checking this thing out too.
thanks all

troy
Old 01-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

I would never personally buy a used nitro anything online... This from a person with 20years in the hobby. As a new guy your just asking for fustration beyond belief., I would only buy used nitro from a person i knew and trusted and when i can see the thing in operation before i buy it. With that said i have only ever bought one used nitro from a friend who i trusted, the engine lasted 2 race days(not his fault not mine just its was all used up)

If you must go nitro then get a brand new RTR brand name car/truck, HPI and Traxxas are your best bets for support reliablity and parts availabilty... I know i said build a kit in my last post and i stand buy that for electric and nitro. BUT! RTR nitros from traxxas come with such great support materials(dvd manual website) that i dont think you would be lost for long if u made the jump.... Again i would go electric though

What is your price range?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Rookie

300-400
Old 01-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Initiate

This is a good post. I'm getting back into the hobby myself and i'm looking at getting the T4. I just priced a T4 kit and for everything I need including a battery pack and charger it came to about $400 from TowerHobbies.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Well your in the ball park for an electric truck the T4 in RTR or kit form shoudl be fully equipt for under 400$ Just depends on you, build it or RTR it?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

I would never personally buy a used nitro anything online... This from a person with 20years in the hobby. As a new guy your just asking for fustration beyond belief., I would only buy used nitro from a person i knew and trusted and when i can see the thing in operation before i buy it. With that said i have only ever bought one used nitro from a friend who i trusted, the engine lasted 2 race days(not his fault not mine just its was all used up)

If you must go nitro then get a brand new RTR brand name car/truck, HPI and Traxxas are your best bets for support reliablity and parts availabilty... I know i said build a kit in my last post and i stand buy that for electric and nitro. BUT! RTR nitros from traxxas come with such great support materials(dvd manual website) that i dont think you would be lost for long if u made the jump.... Again i would go electric though

Yep I totally agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.