Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What car is for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What car is for me?

So here is the deal guys. I've watched a program called Inside R/C, on the Outdoor Channel. Well, it has sparked an interest in R/C cars. I have not the first idea on how to start or where to start. I know there are a lot of others asking the same question too but please add your feedback. Also in addition to what kind of car to start with tell me some tip, and maybe the company website too. Also anyother website that I would find useful. Also I'm only 16 so I don't have a lot of money to work with.
Thanks A lot
Old 06-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking first off..........

what kinda driving are you going to be doing
off-road or on road.....
are you going to be racing or driving in parking lots and on the driveway......
Gas or electric......
do you have a hobby shop near by or even a track???
I found my first "real" car on ebay and also these forums...in the for-sale section
also if you want to find all the sites for the manufacters go bake to the home pace of RCtech.net and scroll down to links....there is a ton of links on there that is where I still go to find sites...
I do not mean to scare you off but give us an idea of what you are going to be doing and you will get a good response and a wide variety
Old 06-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First find out if races are held in your area, then youl want to get somethig used nitro is harder to figure out at first but electric can get really expencive initually because youll need charger batts. and all cinds of stuff to get started. HPI cars are good beggining cars. It's gonna be expencive at firs but then when you find out more about what your feeing you can recycle your cars later like selling old ones and buying new ones, but watch out because if you really start to love RC like me youll want everything. If you just want to have alot of fun and dont want to race try a TMAXX or a monster truck of some sort thoes are always fun.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Sorry guys ,but there is nothing around my area as far as hobby shops. And I have not heard of people even having R/C cars. So i guess you could say i'll be having fun on driveways and my backyard. I guess what are some of the prices of these cars?
Old 06-03-2003, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Which contary u living at IA_Newbie?

how come no one playing RC !?

Anyway, back to ur topic..

If u only want to spend the min $$ to get a car, that can do a bit of speed, and have got some option parts to upgarde..
Providing u are not a serious racer...

a Tamiya TL-01 chassis will be a good choice..

since it is not very expenise, about $130 Australia

As u are a very beginer, cashing will always happen, TL-01 is quit strong on direct impact, infact even airborn will alright.

It is an On-road chassis. so u can play at ur driveway, or at ur street.

But the best for you , is to pop down to ur local hobby shop see what do they have, since later on maintance, u need parts to repair or upgarde, If ur local hobby shop always has stock for 1 particallt chassis, then it is more convience for you. Right!?
Old 06-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

I know you are not going to believe this but there isn't really even a hobby shop in town, I guess i want a car that goes fast, or at least half way fast.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Looking through some of the HPI kits how does the Dash RTR car work. Does it go fast and is it durable.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Don't even think about getting the dash if you want a fast car. The dash is fine for like a 5 year old but if you want moderate speed forget it.

I agree with chappi, the TL01 is a good starting point if you just want to try R/C out and do some street bashing. You can get the TL01 two ways, RTR(ready to run, $200US), in other words take it out of the box, put batteries in and go for it, or you can get it as a kit (about $80US) where you build it and then choose which radio gear(about $60US). Either way you'll need a charger(about $40US) and a few battery packs(about $25 each for ok packs) on top. These are estimates you can go more expencive or cheaper based on your budget. The kit would also require stuff like paint for the body (about $10US) and CA glue (about $6US) for the tyres.

I suggest you check out www.towerhobbies.com and just have a poke around.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:19 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

TL01 "RTR" is known as "eXpert Built (XB)".

Note that the XB package is fully assembled with wheel radio installed, fully painted... but it does NOT include battery and charger in the box, you still need to buy these separately (or ask for a complete starter package).

Generally the price of the XB box is about the same as if you bought a TL01 kit, same style of radio and paint/glue etc. Just choose down to the matter of whether or not you want to build the car yourself (recommended!!).
Old 06-05-2003, 02:46 AM
Tech Master

As chappi was asking, what country do you live in? If you are in the US, there is no way you don't have a hooby shop in your county (big, but its somewhere). If you don't live in the USA (first how would you have seen inside R/C?), then things could be more difficult. Have you looked for hobby shops in your local directory?

The TL01 is an enjoyable vehicle, but even as one, most people are left with a bit of an urge for something more, how about the HPI sprint RTR. Just another choice. R/C car is a very big industry and there is a gagillion choices.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Rookie

which should i get? i'm new to R/C's so i don't know what to get, nor to build my on from kits. i went to a hobby shop and the guy there suggested that i get a RTR. he showed me two RTR's a Tamiya XB, and a HPI dash RTR. which should i get? i really don't know much about R/C but i'm hoping to know more from experience and well from this forum. help...
also i'm thinking of getting into nitro-powered R/C as soon as i get the hang of electric R/C (and as soon as i learn to drive/control it too), is there any difference between the two, aside from speed?
Old 06-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If you going to be just playing,You should look at the big picture,is running a nitro going to piss off your mom and dad,remember they are loud,If that's not a problem i would NOT get an on road car for what you want to do,like jumps,drive across the lawn..you know have fun,I would give the Duratrax Nitro Evader a look,it comes with an OS motor(good thing)its RTR it has a Futaba radio and a great price,$259.99 it also comes with a video on how to tune your motor.Tower Hobbies have them,it is worth a look.RC car action tested one (july 2003),But thats just my 2 cents,good luck.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:00 AM
Tech Initiate

IA Newbie,

if there isnt any hobby shops in your town you could
always order stuff online.