Which Traxxas Rustler for this rookie?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Traxxas Rustler for this rookie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Which Traxxas Rustler for this rookie?

Ok, so I want to get the Traxxas Rustler but being that I'm new to rc I'm not sure whether I should get the standard Rustler or the Rustler VXL? Does it really make a difference? The price isn't much different but it appears that the power is. So I'm not sure if I should get the VXL. I don't know if the driving would be different from the two. If there isn't really any major difference or reason on why I shouldn't buy the VXL, then I'm going to.

Price at Superior Hobbies:
Rustler = $300
Rustler VXL = $325
Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Default rustler/rustler VXL

ask yourself if you want gas or electric? My opinion is VXL with a LiPo is awesome fassst!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Default rustler

Rustler can be upgraded with VXL pkg.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:01 AM
Tech Initiate

um, ur prices are way off. tower hobbies has the regular rustler vx-V or whatever it is for 170............the brushless is 320..............
Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Nitro Rustler
http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...&id=TRA4409!SH

Rustler VXL
http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...&id=TRA3708!SH

Superior Hobbies is my LHS. This is where I would like to purchase my rc. I just don't want to get a vehicle that may be too advanced for me, if that is possible, I'm not sure. Hence, the reason I'm posting in the Rookie Zone.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

go eletric first then nitro. nitro requiers a lot morer matnice and eletric is a little more basic. speed and power is about the same. the eletric with the right gearing and the right battery can go faster then the nitro(50+ the elctric a amazing 70+).even 70 mph is too fast for me but thats with the opinal gear.

i have my gt2(a nother nitro car. in my opion the gt2 is the better car) for about a year now and i dont know how do do everything with nitro(example: tuning the carb. thats my major problem).
Old 11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nickp
go eletric first then nitro. nitro requiers a lot morer matnice and eletric is a little more basic. speed and power is about the same. the eletric with the right gearing and the right battery can go faster then the nitro(50+ the elctric a amazing 70+).even 70 mph is too fast for me but thats with the opinal gear.

i have my gt2(a nother nitro car. in my opion the gt2 is the better car) for about a year now and i dont know how do do everything with nitro(example: tuning the carb. thats my major problem).
Well I already have a nitro touring car. This Rustler would be my first offroad nitro. Not sure if I want to go electric. Might consider it until I've learned more in the nitro department.

EDIT: Ohhhh....I didn't know the VXL was electric. Somehow I was looking in the nitro part of the site and got mixed up and thought the VXL was nitro. Hmm...
Old 11-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you must go nitro then look at the following superior trucks in your price range:
http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...ss%3DOFFNIT%26

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...%26pos%3D25%26

Race ready with decades of proven purformance. Bash them or race them.

Other then that go with the jato from traxxassss
Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ImageFX
Ok, so I want to get the Traxxas Rustler but being that I'm new to rc I'm not sure whether I should get the standard Rustler or the Rustler VXL? Does it really make a difference? The price isn't much different but it appears that the power is. So I'm not sure if I should get the VXL. I don't know if the driving would be different from the two. If there isn't really any major difference or reason on why I shouldn't buy the VXL, then I'm going to.

Price at Superior Hobbies:
Rustler = $300
Rustler VXL = $325
Ill talk with you on yahoo im imagefx...
Old 11-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FYI you will have way more fun running electric over nitro. Look i have been in the hobby sine 1988, and i have been racing competativly in nitro and electric for over 12+ years... I can honestly say that the most fun i ever have is running electric. They are faster and more responsive then nitro cars unless your running on 220-300ft straights racing nitro onroad..

This summer i ran spec nitro one wed night and electric buggy the following. The hassles of nitro where alwasy present. The electic was a no brainer showed up with charged battery and clean motor and raced problem free.

There is plus and minus to both, but coming form someone thats been around understands both sides very well, i prefure electric, it simply more reliable. And this new VXL system they have out now makes electric even easier with maint free motors and lipos
Old 11-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

are u racing or bashing? i should have asked you this before.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm just bashing
Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

traxxas is better for bashing. losi and ae is better for racing.

losi and ae are good cars but are not desinged for bashing. they can handdel the abuse but the rustler would better take crashes.